Prices For Cottonwood in Ohio?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cunrya

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Well the mill has arrived :) Ended up with the Lucas Model 8, cuts great have milled out a few logs and very satisfied thus far. Im in the process now of milling out some cottonwood to build the Kild and Molding Shop in the barn. Im up in NW Ohio, lots of river and bottom ground, tons of cottonwood which before I got the mill considered a trash tree. Im finding it actually makes quite nice lumber though. With lumber prices the way they are might be a good starter product to get into until I get good enough with the mill to cut up them pretty oaks. I'm curious if anyone has an idea of BF value on them. Most companies around here don't want to buy them and I'm thinking I recall hearing a price quote of around 5-10 cents a BF. Does that sound anywhere close to right? I know it isn't the greatest material, but very plentyful around here and makes an acceptable product.

price of cotten wood

i know of a amish mill that is paying about 5 cents a BF for standing timber and they will do the rest. they use it for blocking.

It makes nice trim.It would most likely be o.k. to frame with if you kept it dry and used larger sized lumber,say 2 by 6 s ,for the studding.I've seen open ended machinery sheds made of it,covered in corrugated metal[years ago],that seemed to hold up.
As far as the price,most likely cheap for rough sawn.

Cottonwood is most commonly used for horse stalls, as far as I know, because they won't chew it to bits. You are a little far from horse country, but around here there's at least a small market for it, so you may pursue that angle. It also makes good barn flooring, because it will not splinter. Keep in mind that you need to drive nails in before it is completely dry, as the wood seems to repel them once it has cured.

Latest posts

Back