Prices on Stihl Contra?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Fellas -

I'm seeing a lot of Stihl Contra saws for sale here in Europe; most seem to be the regular 106 cc Contra. I picked up an 070 and one Contra, but I'm thinking about picking up a few more Contra's with the thoughts of maybe selling one or two in the U.S., where prices seem to be stronger.

However, what I'm not sure of -- what is the US market like for the Contra versus the 070 and 090? I think I've seen enough 090's sell on eBay in the US to see what the going rate is, but I haven't seen as many Contras.

So, if a good used 090 is worth $1000 (just using this number for reference), what would a comparable Contra sell for? $700? And what about the 137 cc Contra S - $800? Or do the Contra's generally bring more money? And while I'm at it, I'm guessing the 070 about 20% less than a comparable 090?

Also, as you can see, I'm referring to eBay prices. I realize that you can often find things locally, through Craigslist, word of mouth, etc, a lot cheaper, but if you picked one up for $10 from a garage sale that doesn't really help with valuation.

Thanks for any input.

Scott

Market would really depend on area too.

Like around here a 60-70cc saw is thought to be "big" for most users.
I had a 98cc Still 660 for a while. Took me about a year to sell it. Ended up taking a 360 on trade and $$.

I think the monster Stihls probably attract collectors more than folks who are looking for a good saw for felling or milling.

For that reason, if you sell locally (Craigslist or on eBay with no shipping) you're likely to take a big hit in selling price. Much better to throw on eBay with shipping available. That's what I've seen from watching auctions here in Europe for a few weeks - with no shipping (or only shipping to Germany or Europe) prices are a lot lower.

Thanks

Scott

If so, it should have "1106 S" on the model plate, riveted to the front of the flywheel housing.

Brad -

Thanks for the info. Didn't realize that the plate would have the "S" for the Contra S; thought they all just said "1106". Had to check pictures from the auctions that I won -- one clearly says 1106, the other is too blurry. Keeping my fingers crossed. I guess they discontinued the plates at some point; my 070 (appears to be a fairly early one) doesn't have a plate.

Scott

This is not my saw.

3-L.jpg

Latest posts

Back