Primer bulb

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RipRap

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
My saws are fine however my Stihl HS80 hedge trimmer which uses a primer bulb is becoming harder to start. The unit has about 100 hours on it. I've only used 89+ octane in it.

When I first start it up, I prime it and it starts up and runs fine. However, if I cut it off for only a minute or so after it has been running properly, it is hard to re-start. I pulled out the spark plug and it is dry. To re-start it often requires me to prime it again. Didn't use to be like. Any thoughts or suggestions?

It sounds as though it is time to check and possibly rebuild the carb and/or replace the purge valve,lines,vent and filter. That is assuming that the unit still has proper compression.

It sounds as though the carb is not able to hold "prime" and that is why you would need to push the purge valve again.

Be careful trying quick fixes such as a re-tune as that can simply mask the problem and led to a more expensive failure down the road.

I am adding that I am not familiar with that model of hedge trimmers so hopefully someone else who is will chime in.

Back