primer bulb

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
been awhile since I've been here but figure there are still words of wisdom to be found here
so here the situation... a 20 year old Ryobi trimmer, started up for the first time this with a few pulls,
was running rich, stopped it to take the cover off to get to adjusting screws, can't get it to start now
so the question is, will a cracked primer bulb leak the air needed to move the diaphragm in the carb?
took the carb apart to clean it and there was nothing in there to speak of
after trying to start it the plug is dry and has spark
thanks for your help

having the same issuse on a Poulan someone gave me....replaced all lines and now i cant get it to pull fuel into the bulb. Took cap off tank and when i press bulb, i can see air bubbles coming from the fuel filter........

having the same issuse on a Poulan someone gave me....replaced all lines and now i cant get it to pull fuel into the bulb. Took cap off tank and when i press bulb, i can see air bubbles coming from the fuel filter........

Take a look at how you plumbed up your lines. Fuel should flow from the tank to the carb, from the carb to the bulb, and then from the bulb back to the tank. The bulb sucks fuel through the carb...does not pump fuel to the carb. Most folks, me included, who put on new lines for the first time will make the mistake of plumbing them backwards....and then experience bubbles blowing out of the fuel filter when pumping the bulb.

O.P.....try dribbling a tiny bit of gas down the carb and then crank it to see if it will fire. If you are having a fueling problem this will confirm it as the engine should sputter and then die.

Don't want to be rude & we've all done it, but have you got your bulb fuel lines on the wrong spigots? try a swap over

If you are getting bubbles out of the filter and no flow through the bulb, you likely have the lines connected backwards. With the lines disconnected, put your finger over the two bulb nipples and press the bulb. The nipple that has suction when the bulb is trying to "re-inflate" will be the nipple to which the line with filter should connect.

Normal routing:
Fuel Pickup/filter---fuel line---carb nipple closest to fuel pump (1 Big Screw side)
Fuel line 1" into tank---long purge nipple. Short purge nipple---fuel line to other carb nipple

Back