Privacy Screen under power lines

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Garfield

ArboristSite Operative
AS Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have a customer that wants a privacy screen along about 300 feet of fence. The fence is under the power line and they own only 10 feet away from the power lines. It's about 18-20 feet vertically to the power lines. We are in the Kansas City area. I was thinking Cedars and or forsythias but am open to suggestions. Year round screen would be good. Thanks in advance for the help.

I would say arborvitae due to the space limitations under the wires and year round greenery, but that's a lot of arbs to cover 300 ft and a lot of maintenance

I have a customer that wants a privacy screen along about 300 feet of fence. The fence is under the power line and they own only 10 feet away from the power lines. It's about 18-20 feet vertically to the power lines. We are in the Kansas City area. I was thinking Cedars and or forsythias but am open to suggestions. Year round screen would be good. Thanks in advance for the help.
Leyland Cypress is real nice.

Leyland Cypress is real nice.

+1

They're cheap if you buy them small, 4'-5', very very hardy and grow fast. Plant them about 8' feet on center. It will seem too spaced but trust me, anything closer than 7' apart will be too congested in a short time. They take pretty well to hedging and trimming and you can even top them if they get too tall.

And keep them watered to accelerate the growth.

+1

They're cheap if you buy them small, 4'-5', very very hardy and grow fast. Plant them about 8' feet on center. It will seem too spaced but trust me, anything closer than 7' apart will be too congested in a short time. They take pretty well to hedging and trimming and you can even top them if they get too tall.

And keep them watered to accelerate the growth.

I googled this and it said they grow to 75 or 100 feet. Is there a miniature variety?

I googled this and it said they grow to 75 or 100 feet. Is there a miniature variety?

google "Seiridium canker" and "bagworms" before you plant too many. Broadleafed hollies like nellie stevens work well here.

how wide a space--20'? 40' leylands need to spread. red cedars and southern magnolia can work if there is room.

your local extension agent will know more than us internet clowns across the country! :alien2:

Not to damper their hopes, but the power company likely won't let you or them do this. There are guidelines to follow. You are not supposed to be planting under power lines for obvious reasons.

google "Seiridium canker" and "bagworms" before you plant too many. Broadleafed hollies like nellie stevens work well here.

how wide a space--20'? 40' leylands need to spread. red cedars and southern magnolia can work if there is room.

your local extension agent will know more than us internet clowns across the country! :alien2:

As stated, if they get too overgrown and tall, top them or even cut them down and start over. They are cheap enough to replace as needed and they regrow just as fast. They "can" grow 75'-100' but I haven't seen that anywhere I've planted them in the past 20 years. Maybe in the wild.

What voltage are the lines? Transmission or residential?

Not to damper their hopes, but the power company likely won't let you or them do this. There are guidelines to follow. You are not supposed to be planting under power lines for obvious reasons.

Yep, even if they were able to get them planted the utility co could come remove them at any time if they are transmission lines. I'm not sure about residential anymore.

Latest posts

Back