Problem with 268XP

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cliff R

Addicted to ArboristSite
AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
I've owned our 268XP for at least 10 years, and it has always ran fine, plenty of power and torque. The only repair work required has been to rebuild the carburetor and replace the fuel line.

It started running lean the other day, and stalling out, so I tore it down to replace the fuel line again. While it was in the vise, I pulled the handle up and down to gain better access to the hole in the tank. I just happened to have it at FULL throttle when doing so, and noticed that when I pulled back/down on the handle, the carburetor linkage pulled the throttle plate back from it's FULL open position, to apprx 2/3 throttle opening.

I repeated this several times, and anytime I pushed down against the AV mounts, the throttle would NOT stay wide open.

NOW I know why the rpms and power ALWAYS fall off some when I make cuts up through a log, but it runs fine cutting down through a log.....DUH!

Anyhow, a quick bend on the link between the throttle arm and carburetor arm and it stays at WOT no matter which direction I push the handle against the AV mounts.

The link between the throttle arm and carburetor looked fine, must have been this way since it left the factory. Anyhow, I have always wondered why it never cut quite right coming up through a big log when a LOT of pressure was applied to the rear handle. I'm wondering how many other saws suffer the same problem?......Cliff

My Jonsereds 49sp gave me fits after I rebuilt it after a lean sieze. I pressure and vac tested it and all was fine except that when I would turn the saw over bar side down it would have a increase in rpm's that seemed like a air leak that I was sure didn't exist.

Long story short, the throttle linkage from the handle to the carb was pushing the throttle open when the saw was laid over and the anti vibe moved. A quick bend of the throttle linkage fixed the problem.

Back