Problem with Poulan 25CVA Chainsaw Squirting Gas out of vent hole in gas cap

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

joej68

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Hi All,
I have a Poulan 25CVA Chainsaw that I had for years with no problems until recently I went to use it and at high rpms it really squirts gas out the vent hole. I have tried a couple of other gas caps and it still does it. I started to rebuild the carb (Walbro WA 19A) since that hasn't been done in awhile. Any ideas what could be causing this problem?

Those saws have all been around long enough for the rubber duckbill vent in the cap to deteriorate, even if they haven't seen any ethanol. I use an 8-32 screw to engage the tabbed washer that holds the duckbill to pull the washer out. Some of those old Poulans had a vent made of a big red rubber washer with a stem in the middle to hold it in place. A ring of soft foam held the washer against the vent holes. Look carefully in the fuel tank for any pieces that might have come loose from the cap. If the tabbed washer is loose in its pocket I flatten out the tabs to let them take a better bite into the plastic cap.

You need a new duck-bill valve on the inside of the cap.

Part number is 530026119, I bought 10 on Ebay for around $14. Just pop the little star washer out, stick a new duck bill through it and push it back into the cap.

I believe ModifiedMark has a thread somewhere on replacing this duck bills, he suggests using a gutted BIC ink pen to push the parts back into the cap.

Part number is 530026119, I bought 10 on Ebay for around $14. Just pop the little star washer out, stick a new duck bill through it and push it back into the cap.

I believe ModifiedMark has a thread somewhere on replacing this duck bills, he suggests using a gutted BIC ink pen to push the parts back into the cap.

Yup. That's how I do it.

Poulan Chainsaw 25CVA back on line

Hi Everyone,
I rebuilt the Walbro WA-19A carb with Walbro Carb Kit K10-WAT I got a local lawnmower store and I also replaced the fuel line (Oregon 1/8x3/16 inch) and installed the duck-bill in the gas cap and no more gas squirted out the cap. The say runs great! Cut some wood with it yesterday. Good for another 35 years.
Thanks to all you folks for great advise and guidance.
Joe J.

Back