Problem with Snow Fountain Weep Cherrying

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Robin D

Reaction score
Good Morning Everyone,

I am new to tree planting and I have a question about my snow fountain weeping cherry. It was planted about six weeks ago according to the directions it came with. I live in Baltimore and I purchased the tree from Lancaster, PA. Anyway, it has seemed like it has been struggling since I planted it. It has had good days and bad days. The first week I planted it I watered it everyday especially since it was at the peak of the severe hot weather we were having. Since then I have backed off watering it very much. So last week we had another really hot day so I watered the tree. The next day, I noticed the tree seemed like it was depressed and that a couple of the leaves turned yellow over night. Now a lot of the leaves are turning yellow. I went back to the nursery in PA and the owner told me that with the next watering to give it some fertilizer. He also told me that he had a problem in the beginning of the season with japaneze beattles. Now I am concerned maybe the beatles damaged the tree. Is there something that I have done wrong? Is my tree dying? I have also had different opinions about this situation. For example, someone told me that as long as the trunk of the tree is cool that the tree is fine or that it is normal for this to be happening. I would appreciate anyone's help with this.

Have a great day,
Robin

Robin D said:
maybe the beatles damaged the tree.
Only Paul and Ringo are left, and they're not that kind of person...

Look at New Tree Planting in the link below, to see whether it got planted right. Many directions from nurseries are wrong. Overwatering is wrong; only do it if the soil is dry. Fertilizing in August is wrong.

Great response treeseer. I don't think the beatles would do something like that either.

One additional note. Some trees we run across have excessive soil on top of the roots from poor field management on the growing side. Even if the tree looks like it was planted correctly b/c the ball is level with or just above the ground level, it could actuall be planted deep and roots could be oxygen deprived.

Is likely the heat coupled with the stress of the transplant.

Back