Professional Cabling in Large Trees

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Why don't you agree with the attachment modus.....?

I've yet to see one get tight.....or damage the tree in any way.

and some of the newer systems are simpler..

As well, static line can be used, effectively making the system as strong as steel, but also with near zero stretch, and negates all need to get drill holes perfectly lined up.

If the tree canopy shades the install area, then there's little worry about UV degradation.

Why don't you agree with the attachment modus.....?

I've yet to see one get tight.....or damage the tree in any way.

and some of the newer systems are simpler..

As well, static line can be used, effectively making the system as strong as steel, but also with near zero stretch, and negates all need to get drill holes perfectly lined up.

If the tree canopy shades the install area, then there's little worry about UV degradation.

Circumferential attachments, particularly with any synthetics might make sense for temporary light duty applications like fruit laden orchard trees. However in any longterm, or heavy duty weight bearing cabling scenario, I'll take galvinized steel throughbolts everytime.

Cambium's vital role in every tree is obvious, the potential for serious cambium damage using the cobra system in high tensile, high wind scenarios is an unnecessary risk in my opinion. Maintenance of the cobra system is another drawback compared to galvinized steel systems as well.

Over time, the only dislocated cambium on my 20+ year old cables is the 1/2, 5/8ths or 3/4 inch circular eyebolts on the cable sides.

I like steel, drop forged, galvinized steel. It's track record is pretty dang impressive over the last 100+ years, in my opinion.

A simple inline compression spring on the cable itself makes good sense to me, as long as the throw is limited, and it has a galvinized steel failsafe.

jomoco

I'll take galvinized steel throughbolts everytime.
And I'll take wirestops every time; that's where my experience is.

Good questions, good answers. I've also used static line but like the feel of steel.

:clap:

I tried the wirestops recently. They are certainly more elegant looking when installed, and the total cost is less than eye bolts, clamps or splices, etc.

I'm not sure that they are any easier to install, however. We used the EHS cable, it was a Btch to cut and bend.

I tried the wirestops recently. They are certainly more elegant looking when installed, and the total cost is less than eye bolts, clamps or splices, etc.

I'm not sure that they are any easier to install, however. We used the EHS cable, it was a Btch to cut and bend.

I really like EHS 7 strand for supporting serious weight, however, if you use tree grips and thimbles at the eyebolts, there is no need to bend EHS cable. it definitely doesn't like to bend at all, using tree grips, all I have to do is cut it to length for each span, very accurately of course.

The strength ratings between EHS and soft lay cable is staggering.

I'm startin cablin next week, so I should have some decent vids of 3 different cabling jobs in the coming weeks, right up to new year.

jomoco

JOMOCO:

I was too cheap to buy an expensive cable cutter, in the hope that it MIGHT cut the biggest (7/16" ?) EHS cable we bought for a heavy tree. We used a die grinder on our portable air compressor. It did ok, and there was no doubt that it would get through eventually. We broke our bolt cutters, and didn't even dent the cable.

What do you use to cut the EHS cable?

JOMOCO:

I was too cheap to buy an expensive cable cutter, in the hope that it MIGHT cut the biggest (7/16" ?) EHS cable we bought for a heavy tree. We used a die grinder on our portable air compressor. It did ok, and there was no doubt that it would get through eventually. We broke our bolt cutters, and didn't even dent the cable.

What do you use to cut the EHS cable?

Funny you bring that up, the best cable cutters are the one's with the long aluminum handles, and swiss steel blades, they cost about 400 bucks, and are the cats meow.

I've set up 3 different companies here in SD for cabling equipment, each time ordering the swiss cable cutters for each company. And because I don't cable exclusively for each company, over the years each of those expensive cable cutters has disappeared from each company. I come back and find friggin boltcutters in the cabling bags.

I don't play with stupid boltcutters when I cable period, but I have found a cheaper ratcheting cable cutter that works almost as well as the swiss cutters.

http://www.specialized.net/ecommerce/shop/layout.asp?product_id=109X098

You'll see them in action on EHS cable soon.

These are the swiss cutters.

http://www.felcostore.com/order1.jsp?code=F-C16&referer=wirecablecutters.jsp

jomoco

Last edited:
Funny you bring that up, the best cable cutters are the one's with the long aluminum handles, and swiss steel blades, they cost about 400 bucks, and are the cats meow.

I've set up 3 different companies here in SD for cabling equipment, each time ordering the swiss cable cutters for each company. And because I don't cable exclusively for each company, over the years each of those expensive cable cutters has disappeared from each company. I come back and find friggin boltcutters in the cabling bags.

I don't play with stupid boltcutters when I cable period, but I have found a cheaper ratcheting cable cutter that works almost as well as the swiss cutters.

http://www.specialized.net/ecommerce/shop/layout.asp?product_id=109X098

You'll see them in action on EHS cable soon.

jomoco

Wow I am too cheap I just use a chisel and big hammer but
it works very well!!:cheers:

felco cutters are the best!

got two pairs of the smaller version felco for cutting super tuff bike shifting cables.

Not to mention the Cobra system is expensive and harder to install

Huh? The 2 ton is cheap, and super easy to install....the larger sizes still easy to work, but not cheap...

and some of the newer systems are even easier, but not so cheap.

Jomoco, I doubt seriously if there has been much evidence of cambium damage from properly installed dynamic systems...which aren't meant to be taut. (I've seen none.)

You may be right about static systems, which have probably had few installs, as they should be tight, llike steel, to support a weaker union.......those would be under constant tension.

Last edited:
Huh?

You may be right about static systems, which have probably had few installs, as they should be tight, llike steel, to support a weaker union.......those would be under constant tension.

And proper hardware alignment is critical to the system's integrity RB.

Don't get me wrong, absent a structural fault, the logic behind dynamic cabling systems makes perfect sense in my opinion, it mimics mother nature, and I believe in mother nature.

jomoco

Here are pics of today's cabling efforts.

Note the cable failure is primarily due to lack of thimbles and the resulting dynamic friction in the wind.

I'm very glad to report that the first usage of my new cabling alignment tubes resulted in a couple of perfectly straight cables in that moreton bay fig.

Doing remedial cable work in a tree that should never have been cabled in the first place is somewhat frustrating and requires careful methodology.

I'll be spending two more days in this particular tree in downtown SD.

jomoco

This has been an interesting thread with a lot of legs! A lot of very intersting input and observations. Thanks guys.

Here are pics of today's cabling efforts

I'm very glad to report that the first usage of my new cabling alignment tubes resulted in a couple of perfectly straight cables in that moreton bay fig.

Doing remedial cable work in a tree that should never have been cabled in the first place is somewhat frustrating and requires careful methodology.

I'll be spending two more days in this particular tree in downtown SD.

jomoco

Come on guys, and your Morton Bay jomoco, Have any of you guys used the "tree saver" , the best dynamic system known to man--I use it and don,t have interest invested in the company. Sherrill catalog.
Jeff Lovstrom:agree2: :agree2:

I'd love to see you cut EHS cable in the tree with a hammer and chisel Rope!

And no cambial damage Rope!

jomoco

You win jomo I have very little time
cabling unfortunately only one customer so far has wanted
it done! I measured and pre-cut with a chisel on my vise on my bucket.
I suppose if I could find more clients I would justify some crimps cable
cutters etc. are Klein the best? I have many Klein tools' and like their
quality. Most people here want trees cut instead of supported but
I do try.

You win jomo I have very little time
cabling unfortunately only one customer so far has wanted
it done! I measured and pre-cut with a chisel on my vise on my bucket.
I suppose if I could find more clients I would justify some crimps cable
cutters etc. are Klein the best? I have many Klein tools' and like their
quality. Most people here want trees cut instead of supported but
I do try.

I'm sure Klein probably makes a decent pair of cable cutters Rope, but Felco C16's are the best.

I've got a really lightweight new ratcheting cable cutter that cuts thick EHS cable great, but I hate them in the tree, they take what seems like forever to ratchet down and get on with the friggin cuttin already!

They're geared so low it's frustrating!

Give me Felco Santa..............uh make that POV1 wide angle helmet cam.....never mind....just give me health please.

jomoco

Last edited:
I'm sure Klein probably makes a decent pair of cable cutters Rope, but Felco C16's are the best.

I've got a really lightweight new ratcheting cable cutter that cuts thick EHS cable great, but I hate them in the tree, they take what seems like forever to ratchet down and get on with the friggin cuttin already!

They're geared so low it's frustrating!

Give me Felco Santa..............uh make that POV1 wide angle helmet cam.....never mind....just give me health please.

jomoco
So I am guessing two bills for the cutter right?

Back