Project 041

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gafirefighter

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Today, I was given a very well used 041AV from a buddy. He said it is in shambles, but its mine if I want it. It probably has not been started in 10 years. The throttle and interlock are missing, so I will have to rebuild the handle. The muffler cover is broken, so I will replace that. Then we get to dive inside. I know it's not locked up, but that's about it right now.

He will be sending it to me soon. Once it gets here the pictures will start. I hope to do the entire project and post the progress. I'm sure I will need some help also. Now to find a manual...

More to follow,

Adam

It turns out that this saw is different from the original I posted about. This appears to be an 041AV Super, and may actually be running. More to follow...

Adam

It turns out that this saw is different from the original I posted about. This appears to be an 041AV Super, and may actually be running. More to follow...

Adam

Make sure when/if you get it you get it you tighten the bolts on the intake flange. They are known to back out and lean seize the saw. Pistons are hard to find for those Supers.

Apparently he has both. He has no use for either. The most recent message it got makes it appear he will be sending both... Will know for sure later.

Hopefully the cylinder and piston are pristine. LOL. I'm sure. I guess I will start hunting for a piston now just in case. I just hope the jug is serviceable at a minimum.

Adam

041/manual

I sold my 041 many years ago but seem to still (recently found), have the hard copy of the owners manual (seems I also have the OM for the Stihl 011)...Pretty green/white pamphlet that I have no need of. If one of you guys want it to complete your 041/011 drop me a PM and I'll mail it to you. Yes, postage on me...One of these days I'll be looking for info too...Had I found AS before I sold those saws I'd still have them...But, you know how that goes. Since CAD I've been trying to get back where I was!...Yogi Berra knew what he was talking about!

Here are a couple questions before the 041AV and the Super arrive. First off, I am planning to just build up the Super. If there is anything I need from the AV I will use it, and if there are any decent parts left, I will list them. I watched a video of a super Mastermind worked over. In that video it appears to have a newer set of bucking spikes on it. Is this a standard fit from other saws? I love the look. Also, I am going to throw a 20" Stihl bar on it, but I am not sure what chain would be best to run. I have not dealt much with the lower RPM saws, and I am wondering what it would benefit the most from.

Should be fun either way. Pictures will be up as soon as I have the saws.

Adam

Here are a couple questions before the 041AV and the Super arrive. First off, I am planning to just build up the Super. If there is anything I need from the AV I will use it, and if there are any decent parts left, I will list them. I watched a video of a super Mastermind worked over. In that video it appears to have a newer set of bucking spikes on it. Is this a standard fit from other saws? I love the look. Also, I am going to throw a 20" Stihl bar on it, but I am not sure what chain would be best to run. I have not dealt much with the lower RPM saws, and I am wondering what it would benefit the most from.

Should be fun either way. Pictures will be up as soon as I have the saws.

Adam

Remember the 041 was in Stihl's lineup for many of years. There is a lot of change that happened to the saw but for the most part all parts are interchangeable. A Super is more like an 041AV not the Farmboss 041. The super takes a different intake block.

Remember the 041 was in Stihl's lineup for many of years. There is a lot of change that happened to the saw but for the most part all parts are interchangeable. A Super is more like an 041AV not the Farmboss 041. The super takes a different intake block.

Can you tell me the difference between the 2

I know they have different part numbers but they look the same

i got a super and 2 reg 041 and 1 in the build process

Latest posts

Back