Project Poulan XX is alive

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cut4fun

Faster is Better
Reaction score
Just wanted to give Thanks to ScottD=Retoocs55 for finding and sending me the parts I needed for this XX 70's saw twice and Thanks to ScottR for all the advice and coaching on my first point system project. As of today saw runs and has made some cuts. I think I will put a carb kit in down the road, if I can locate one for this saw. Thanks guys.:clap: :cheers:
Oh, I have a very understanding wife and sometimes lets me work on the kitchen table.:greenchainsaw:

scottr said:
That's a good looking XX you fixed up . How's the balance of the XX feel compared to the 2000 ?
The xx seems better balanced then the 2000. I have 10" bars on them both now and will pull them out and do a side to side handling of them both and then let you know for sure. The xx needs that rubber coating on the handle like my 2000 does. Just like a thicker grip area.

XX v/s 2000 pits

Scottr here are the pits to compare. XX beside the 2000. The xx might be less then a pound heavier, by feel. I know the 2000 powerhead is 7.8LBS. Both have 10" bars, 2000 3/8LP and xx 1/4 chain. The xx carb seems to be clearing up, probably a dried out diaphram. Cut real good today. Havent figured out how to adjust the carb on the thing. Afraid I might be screwing up, dont want to run it lean. But it runs and idles good and takes gas fast on wot. It has a Tillotson HU carb. Cant figure out the H L or idle. Anybody know about that carb?

Cut4fun said:
Scottr here are the pits to compare. XX beside the 2000. The xx might be less then a pound heavier, by feel. I know the 2000 powerhead is 7.8LBS. Both have 10" bars, 2000 3/8LP and xx 1/4 chain. The xx carb seems to be clearing up, probably a dried out diaphram. Cut real good today. Havent figured out how to adjust the carb on the thing. Afraid I might be screwing up, dont want to run it lean. But it runs and idles good and takes gas fast on wot. It has a Tillotson HU carb. Cant figure out the H L or idle. Anybody know about that carb?

What a cute couple!

There should be 2 screws accessible through the top casing on the saw. One is your Low adjustment and the other is the idle adjustment. I can't remember which one is where but the bigger screw is probably the idle.

Thanks

Thanks Scott D for your help and parts. Without them the project would have never gotten off the ground.
BananaDance.gif
blahblahyellow.gif
buddies.gif

DrinnkFlask.gif

scottr said:
Good comparison of the 2000 and XX , thanks .
Running 10" bars. The 2000 had safety chain 3/8LP and the XX had NON-safety 1/4 chain. Just doing 4"-5" size limbing cuts, then just cutting disc from the limbs. I couldnt really tell any difference in the cutting between the 30cc and 33cc poulans. For their purpose of limbing, the XX should make a good backup limbing saw too.
chores017.gif

Limbing cuts

Cut4fun said:
Running 10" bars. The 2000 had safety chain 3/8LP and the XX had NON-safety 1/4 chain. Just doing 4"-5" size limbing cuts, then just cutting disc from the limbs. I couldnt really tell any difference in the cutting between the 30cc and 33cc poulans. For their purpose of limbing, the XX should make a good backup limbing saw too.
chores017.gif
Thanks for the limbing cut information . Is that a smiley practicing his hatchet throw ?

Two short comings of that saw are the fixed main jet carb and the choke lever which is forever getting bumped by a limb and setting.This gets on my nerves while hanging like some kind of an old age monkey in a tree.

Back