Propane salamander heater ques.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

seagull369

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I was wondering if anyone might know what size propane tank would be adequate to run my ~325K BTU Reddy Heater-type heater. I'm figuring the standard size BBQ tank I've got hooked up now isn't up to the task, since after about 10 mins of running the heater's flame craps out and the temp. at the tank outlet gets so cold my hand could probably stick to 'er if I wasn't careful. Wonder why that happens, anyways.

The propane tank gets cold to the touch because evaporation of the liquid propane inside the tank to turn it into gas as it depressurizes, absorbs heat. (Evaporation is what they call an "endothermic process", that is, it absorbs heat.) You feel the same effect when you step out of the shower or out of a pool and you feel a chill as the water on your skin evaporates. After you dry off, you don't feel that chill anymore, because there isn't any more evaporation. To take it a step further, your body perspires when you're overheated to cool itself. Remember the chill you feel in a breeze when your sweating. Evaporation of the sweat is taking heat away from your body.

I was wondering if anyone might know what size propane tank would be adequate to run my ~325K BTU Reddy Heater-type heater. I'm figuring the standard size BBQ tank I've got hooked up now isn't up to the task, since after about 10 mins of running the heater's flame craps out and the temp. at the tank outlet gets so cold my hand could probably stick to 'er if I wasn't careful. Wonder why that happens, anyways.

If you are talking about a salamander
You can damage it by not having it hooked up to a large enough tank. Mine is 375K BTU and is suppose to be hooked to a minimum of 3 100# tanks. I will tell you from experience you would be best off to get a 500 gallon propane tank. Mine heats my 50'x70' with 16' walls shop in about 20 minutes. It use's a lot of propane. My new plan is to get a 50 to 70K salamander and put a Y in the line and let it heat after the big one brings the temp up fast and save some propane.

Latest posts

Back