Propane tanks, how to buy a used one ?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LadyToysDream

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Hi

We just recently parted company with the propane people we have been doing business with for 18 yrs. We bought a new 100 pound tank and had it filled and it is now hooked up and running our kitchen cook stove.
We would like a second tank.

Trying to talk hubby into going and looking at a used 100 pound tank this morning, and the guy will give a used 200 pound tank free with the deal if one has need for it.
Ad states he is not sure he can sell the 200 pound tank legally.
I seen the picture of the 2 tanks and don't see any marks on either one.
I would be looking for a serial number on the tanks.
I should also be asking for some kind of paper trail for ownership.
I think he came by them because they were left on the property he bought.

What questions should I be asking ?
Is there a certain age for a tank to be wary of ?

I have to get him on the phone shortly to set up a appointment to see them.

i've seen people advertise them on craigslist for free.....just have to remove it. some don't want to bother with selling them.

Yes using cash is a good idea :)

I was reading on another site, after doing a search this morning, that a check would probably be the way to go though. That way one would have a paper trail to prove ownership.

I am wondering how often does one have to have a tank recertified or inspected ?

I am thinking now if we buy a second new tank that both would be due about the same time. And or maybe the smaller tanks one does not have the problems the bigger tanks would have. If we stick to the 100 # tanks and smaller, we can transport them ourselves.
Anything bigger, then we will need to have someone come here to fill them.

Since you only use propane for the cook stove, I would recomend the 100lb/25 gallon bottle.
That way you could get the best price by filling them yourself.
Shop around all the farm/feed stores, they usually have the best prices. Avoid u-haul/gas stations, they are very expensive.

The bottle has to be recertified at 12 years and then every 5 years after that.

The other option would be to buy your own propane tank of 100 gallons or larger. You can get them at Home Depot or Lowes. The propane company I work for gives a discount to customer owned tanks. With this option, you will not have to transport the bottles to fill them and risk throwing your back out or injuring yourself. The larger tanks do not have to be recertified. They just have to have a legible data plate on them(if you buy used). It should also last you a year or more.

If you lived in my area, these would be your pricing options.

25 gallon bottle filled at feed store $1.89/gallon.
25 gallon bottle filled at gas station $2.80-$4.00/gallon

100 gallon customer owned tank filled at home $2.37-$4.40/gallon depending on propane company.(my company is $2.37/gallon)

100 gallon leased tank filled at home $2.47-$4.40/gallon(my company is $2.47/galllon)

A new 100 gallon tank cost around $800.00 or leases for around $50.00 and year.

Here is an educational site for you.

http://www.propane101.com/propanecylinders.htm

Last edited:
Back