proper procedure for filing rakers

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wolfman

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
I started filing the rakers on my chain this weekend, and realized that I really was not sure how to do it as I have never done it before. I used a raker depth gauge to determine which ones (all of them actually!) needed filing and found it easiest to advance that cutter to the front (i.e. tip) of the bar and file up on it. I noticed that the general shape had been changed a little, as the file only touched the top area of the raker, and tried all I could do to contour the raker back to how it was but couldn't. Am I doing this right? Should I file from the side of the chain? Any help is appreciated. Thanks.

The depth guages that I am familiar with are meant to be used as a file guide- you hold it over the raker and file across it.

It was my understanding that after you do file raker to the desired level, you should round the edge back somewhat. I'm not saying it has to be perfect and look like it did before you filed the top. You just don't want it to snag wood.

Doug

Thanks guys, I think I am on the right track. I will look at the chain--I know there is a scribe mark on the cutter but I do not remember seeing one on the raker--but I'll check. Thanks again.

Latest posts

Back