proper pruning 75' tulip

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
because making a 10-12" diameter cut just outside that lateral, no matter how perfect a "target cut" will lead to decay into the stem behind the lateral.. the stub provides a buffer.. no one said it was gonna be pretty. If aesthetics are a big concern, then other options should be considered.. in this case it's fairly inconspicuous. If I tried to make a target cut, there was a good chance I would miss on that big stem.... I'd rather reprune it down the road.. If it sprouts, they can be pruned for structure.. If it just dies, which it appears to have done 18 months later, I'll wait till the live growth is clearly visible and make the target cut exactly where the tree wants it..

Ya know I gotta kinda agree , that looks like #### and as far as the stub is concerned you will have regrowth or worse a area of decay that will prolly show up on the lower side of that branch and all the back to the trunk ??? I get the theory but I would not have done the same I was always taught and practice a 45* to the branch that stays.. And I don't wan' t you too feel like I am always bashing with a thick head unable to learn , with that being said I always try to do whats right and proper ...

Last edited:
how the hell can a young mind like mine learn anything with you guys going back and forth all the time about weather it's ok to stub cut or not, one day it's like the plague and the next day it's what's best for the tree.....JUST MAKE UP YOUR MINDS ALREADY, YOU'RE KILLING ME!!!!! Is it or is it not OK to stub cut..........DANG..

how the hell can a young mind like mine learn anything with you guys going back and forth all the time about weather it's ok to stub cut or not, one day it's like the plague and the next day it's what's best for the tree.....JUST MAKE UP YOUR MINDS ALREADY, YOU'RE KILLING ME!!!!! Is it or is it not OK to stub cut..........DANG..

Oh, another potential customer. This new business venture of mine is really booming, people are catching on. Don't be the last person on your block without one. I am offering a special just in time for the holidays: 1 bullet is 5 bucks or two for seven fifty. One for you, one for that special person in your life but i don't recomend you go in that order. Call now. operators are standing by to take your order. We accept no liablity for mispelled names.

001-20.jpg

THE N IS NEAR!

Oh, another potential customer. This new business venture of mine is really booming, people are catching on. Don't be the last person on your block without one. I am offering a special just in time for the holidays: 1 bullet is 5 bucks or two for seven fifty. One for you, one for that special person in your life but i don't recomend you go in that order. Call now. operators are standing by to take your order. We accept no liablity for mispelled names.

001-20.jpg

THE N IS NEAR!

lmao!!!!!! Economy deal: buy the bullet and rent the gun, for those that are trying to get the most bang for their buck....

LOL I would say it depends, definitely on ice damage it is many times a necessity and most of the trees rebound so in that context, yes. I would err on caution as including it as a staple of practice. I guess in a way I leave stubs but it is only a half inch or so to stay out of bbpz. I guess if I was on a property that had me come back annual to assess, stubs would not be an issue. My customers on the other hand may be five years before calling me and I can't afford to kill them with a large dead stub falling! Like I said small stubs or where a lateral does not exist is how I conduct the issue. It will not harm if outside bbpz and since I can trim and stay out of it I will. Another necessity for stubs is on pollards, its too easy to make a mistake there imo. A two inch dead stub falling is a lot different than a 12" lead dying and falling too.

Last edited:
One reason i would not subscribe to accepting stubs as a routine practice, there is more but this one sorta gives me pause!

Disease comes to plants in many forms, living attackers such as bacteria, fungi, and viruses. You can also think of infestations by insects as “disease” in that they begin in one part of the plant and spread throughout, harming it as they reproduce.

For the most part, a plant will not recover from a disease that you notice. By the time you see the sign of an infection, chances are that waiting for the plant to fight it off on its own is not a good idea if you have a choice. The best action instead is to assess if the problem is in one part of the plant, and if it is, cut that part out before the problem can spread.

Unlike wood that is simply dead or broken, diseased wood contains a living inoculant that can still spread and re-infect the living plant even after you cut it off. These may be insect eggs in the wood, fungus spores, or bacteria that can leap through the air riding splashes of rain onto a new plant—I kid you not.

For these reasons, it is not enough to just cut off diseased wood—you must remove it from the site as trash or destroy it by burning. You should also disinfect tools that cut into diseased wood before using them to cut again into good wood.

Dead wood is a fungi bed waiting to occur imo so routinely leaving stubs to die and become havens for fungi and bug beds is a little counter productive I think..

Last edited:

THE N IS NEAR!
do you offer same day express shipping....

Murph is right it is best not to cut a branch back to the trunk. But I disagree with leaving stubs. If you could cut back approx a third of the branch using proper cuts back to laterals. The go back the following year and again reduce the branch again. Buy the third year the branch should be shutting down which would show you where the tree wants you to cut it. However, finding someone that would want to pay you to do it like this would be pretty cool. Most people want the immediate result of having the limb removed. I would really like to be able to trim a street that has similar trees on both sides. One side just cut off the branches like we always have and the other side like I just described. Then study the trees for twenty years or so for additional pruning, storm damage, low limbs, etc. Then we could see how proper (or what I think is proper) pruning really affects trees.

Murph is right it is best not to cut a branch back to the trunk. But I disagree with leaving stubs. If you could cut back approx a third of the branch using proper cuts back to laterals. The go back the following year and again reduce the branch again. Buy the third year the branch should be shutting down which would show you where the tree wants you to cut it. However, finding someone that would want to pay you to do it like this would be pretty cool. Most people want the immediate result of having the limb removed. I would really like to be able to trim a street that has similar trees on both sides. One side just cut off the branches like we always have and the other side like I just described. Then study the trees for twenty years or so for additional pruning, storm damage, low limbs, etc. Then we could see how proper (or what I think is proper) pruning really affects trees.

That's right, let the tree show you. And don't forget all the other circumstance out there that's not written in the ANSI book.

I didn't see anything that could be regarded as a stub on Murph's poplar ( I mean tuliptree- twholipius treeius), if comments about stubs where made in regards to that maple the lady wanted one side hacked out of I think the whole thing could be summed up pretty quick. Just go back to where he mentioned something about a landscraper telling the client something, then it turned out there was no landscraper to begin with.

I am pretty sure you guys try you're best, so do I, but I know this ain't no Paul Mitchell hair salon so excuse me for saying I think some of you or full of it. X, yeah you in particular. There are high hopes and then there is reality.

This is a oak atop the hill at the Morris Arboretum. Its pretty self explanitory, well, if you can think that is. If you rely on Shigo to direct your every move then I would have to call that tunnel vision, unable to process your own thoughts, afraid to step offshore, you should hang out in a pasture, eat graze, say " Baaa".

001-22.jpg

Epicormic growth? I can work with that. Stubs? Them too. We'll see next season and decide then maybe, I dunno.

Last edited:
Proper pruning of a mature bradford. You can argue as many circles as you like, you'll just tire yourself out, irritate The Dan and sound like Baptist.

021-9.jpg

Last edited:
Nice work, The Dan. I saw that oak last spring but never in winter--fine silhouette. They do nice work there. :rock: You are spot on about the brain needing to be engaged and adapt, 'Rules are too absolute for Mother Nature" A. S.

"I have to imagine your "retrenchment" being a very different thing from theirs."

Nah ed we pretty much compare notes; I'm down with most of what they do. It was kind of a silly semantic thing. What i think is funny/weird is the vociferous commenting that takes place online, compared to the silence from hard copy readers. Is it the anonymity here, or the instant gratification? who knows who cares.

" If the authors are willing to listen to what this BCMA has to say then I'll take the opportunity to say it."

The subgroups (have to) take public comments, bring em on. Murph did last time around and he was heard. the better supported they are, the better the comments are heard.

"Lets inspect that willow oak!" we can look at a lot of them, come on up anytime! the wraptor makes it possible to see a lot in a day.

I can see them nodes from here.

Good job! :cheers:

Whatsa nodes ?

At first I deployed the rented Nifty Fifty, made one cut then remembered it is never a good idea to try and fool yerself.

I took the lift around back and went beserk on a line of Arbs and these ornamentals using a hand loppers and non- motorized sheers. I don't think I left a terminal bud standing. If you see one, let me know, I'll go and put it out of my misery.

015-8.jpg

I ditched the lift and went back at the bradfords ( pearius bradferios). I set a TIP high and in the middle by strapping a couple thin tips together then gave em a buzzing to with a motorized handsaw.

Well 1st off the only load mouths are the ones posting videos of instructional destruction of a tree & trying out methods that only work in their heads..........

Guy, your subcontractors are more like it........cause you dont climb anything worth a hoot & cant run a bucket truck!!, you wanna preach new methods this & new methods that.............well try reading the publication that prints your fodder........cause many of the cited literature bases are pretty dated........

December issue arborist news page 28, cited Literature from 1984, 1989, 1990 & 1996

Now lets go to page 29...Sharon Lilly`s 3rd edition of the tree climbers companion, Now I`ve been to symposiums & while I have not met her personally, I have been within earshot of her.........."she writes specifically from the tree climbers perspective"...Like she has ever, & I mean ever had her bottom end aloft in a tree............But by goodness 3 editions later & a little money in her non climbing pockets..............yep, why dont they offer that up for free?

Now venture on over to Page 42 where Carl under the heading of Shigo Junkie makes the statement about Arbs who dont climb!!!

Your article is a basic 101 of BS mish mash & the use of the muppets "Ms. Piggy" & "Kermie" is about as dated as one can get, you wanna preach new methodology, scientific data....etc.......then why do we still cite almost 30 yr old literature? & to boot...they`re still selling that stuff & making money on it!!! why dont you tell them their theories & books are obsolete? Ooooo thats right you wouldnt be writing to many articles after an outburst like that..................actually, that might be a good thing!!!!

LXT.....................

That's right, let the tree show you. And don't forget all the other circumstance out there that's not written in the ANSI book.

I didn't see anything that could be regarded as a stub on Murph's poplar ( I mean tuliptree- twholipius treeius), if comments about stubs where made in regards to that maple the lady wanted one side hacked out of I think the whole thing could be summed up pretty quick. Just go back to where he mentioned something about a landscraper telling the client something, then it turned out there was no landscraper to begin with.

I am pretty sure you guys try you're best, so do I, but I know this ain't no Paul Mitchell hair salon so excuse me for saying I think some of you or full of it. X, yeah you in particular. There are high hopes and then there is reality.

This is a oak atop the hill at the Morris Arboretum. Its pretty self explanitory, well, if you can think that is. If you rely on Shigo to direct your every move then I would have to call that tunnel vision, unable to process your own thoughts, afraid to step offshore, you should hang out in a pasture, eat graze, say " Baaa".

001-22.jpg

Epicormic growth? I can work with that. Stubs? Them too. We'll see next season and decide then maybe, I dunno.

Ya know Danno.............you run at the mouth & post horrific prunings that even AA wouldnt take credit for............Perhaps some more house chores will put you back in reality? but I doubt it? you post in an ebonic manner that rivals FTA.............as for Murph, Treeseer & you.....................ya wanna defend stubs? good for you!! you wanna say whats outdated.....good for you!!

But..........I dont see any of you three working/Consulting on the big jobs............In seers case I can only justify his position by the fact he has his head so far up certain committees azzes & imbedded into the organizations crotches so deep that the fact of him kissin their backsides out weighs his skill level............his knowledge is book based & therefore anyone with time to read a novel could make similar conclusions..............its just some of us are to busy aloft & tired by days end to engage in book fest!!

Now lets re-visit those outdated publications still being cited in Arb News from 1984...............:msp_biggrin:

LXT....................

X, the first thing outta yer mouth everytime is calling somebody something.

Dude where do you come up with your dribbling prattle..............I dont call any body anything unless its some over posting, no sense making, picture taking of himself sitting on the steps with a dish cloth on his shoulder...........Idiot!!

Now thats outta the way, post sumthin worth a poo & soak that binky in some rum & ranch dressing before posting stupidly again!!!!

LXT................

What about my question, if I may? The other thread died.
Jeff :msp_ohmy:

Ask away Jeff, Maybe..........the Dan or Murph will give ya a good answer.......oh hell Jeff, just drop it on the street or in the Ho`s driveway.......

Ask away Jeff, Maybe..........the Dan or Murph will give ya a good answer.......oh hell Jeff, just drop it on the street or in the Ho`s driveway.......

Holy ###k Batman someone lit a M80 up your ### today , damn .... I am afraid today of you and my dog just hid in the corner and ####ed on my floor .....

Back