"pro's" please tell me how to go about cutting this branch off.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

voxac30dude

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I cut a branch off a locust just like this a month ago. Tough to make any calls on how to cut the branch with a controlled fall wthout the rest of the branch and tree. What can the rigging possibly tie into above? Whats below? How does it attach to the tree?

More pics.

I don't look like to much of a hassle pretty easy though I haven't seen the whole tree. Cut the tip off first that's all. wittle it down.

I don't look like to much of a hassle pretty easy though I haven't seen the whole tree. Cut the tip off first that's all. wittle it down.

treemandan has the surest way, stay in front of the split, then go behind it. Looks to be solid from the split back to the attachment, if so you probably don't need to go through the trouble.
I just booked 10 days on Maui starting Jan. 16 and would be happy to add Peruvian Pepper tree to my list. Got a SCUBA scooter I can borrow as trade? :]
Artistree

Becareful if you are rigging it, it looks as though it could be a brittle wood. From the pictures it looks similar to willow. Make sure you have a strong point to set your climbing line and rigging line.

A 'sock' formed from a series of half hitches to a Running Bowline.

Segmented out onto a speedline; all pre-set with a series of slings and krabs.

Lay softly down onto branches beneath and descend to part out.

Tip Tie and Pull

If you have good rigging points up higher, then I would first tip tie the branch. Make your face cut on the top side of the branch. Then have your groundies pull on the rope hard as you under cut the branch slowly. This should raise the tips of the branch and stand it up. Use a block if you can, instead of a natural crotch, so there is less friction for pulling the branch up. Also the branch looks low enough that you could set the rigging line at the tips with a trow line and running bowline. That way you don't have to climb out on that sketchy branch.
If you have a GRCS or Hobbs rigging system they work great for this method.

Good Luck

Based on the photographs this tree is a Schinus molle and as such is a soft heavy wood and unreliable for rigging. If you can safely use the roof for a landing zone then do so cutting small easy pieces working from the tip to the trunk. I often fill large canvas bags with leaves or mulch and place them on roofs to protect the surface. The same result can also be acheiched using large 2.4m x 1.2 m sheets of plywood underneth the branch.

To prevent the branch splitting where the crack itself is I would strap it. Even basic luggage tie down straps pictures below (about $40 here) with a breaking strain of 400kg will hold the wood together on a branch that size.

images

Latest posts

Back