Protecting the worlds forests

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kkottemann

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Just caught a news segment covering the global warming meeting in copenhagen. Towards the end of the clip the new caster reported that the united states has plans to spent 3.5 billion dollars in an effort to protect the worlds forests. Anybody know of a where there is a write up on the actual plan. We'll see how this turns out!!!

I wouldn't know. Everytime a plan is made, it kind of makes things even more complicated. Let me see, I would say that the PNW was the practice area with the NW Forest Plan (1993?). It pretty much decimated our little timber towns and locked up some very productive timber growing lands.

Maybe this is the second plan. Note that the definition of Old Growth is now to be based on diameter size.

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/12/17/science/earth/17timber.html?_r=1&hpw

I don't know about the worlds plan, but here in Louisiana there is a 4 million ton drop in production of wood moved which comes out to 133,000 fewer loads delivered to mills. the Office of forestry had to make a 14 million dollar cut resulting in massive layoffs and reduced forestry activities like fire fighting, insect control, educational programs ect...ughhh, tough times indeed. I trying to hold on myself.....however, I want to know where we goanna spend 3.5 billion. I'm all for conservation, i just would like to see the plan. Dig in boys!!!!2010 is goanna be a son of a B%$#h.

Wow! slowp, I just read that article on the old growth. a 21 inch ban huh...what a pain. we have a similar fight down here cypress. the pretty much shut down cypress logging because the enviro's were convinced we were logging them for garden mulch, said that costal erosion is excellerated because cutting of the costal cypress forests. And to top it off the corp of engineers has the control. Well, guess what....cypress trees need fresh water to survive, in the 50's the corps built canals from the gulf to the various river and tributaries in south louisiana for a direct route for ships.....the canals also provided a direct route for salt water. a mature cypress can handle certain levels of salinity, but regeneration is not possible.
so now the corps has put restrictions on activites involving cypress logging. And anyone who thinks we would cut a tree which can bring damm near 1k per thousand for finished product and grind it up for a bag of mulch is seriously misinformed.

Fed up!!!!!

I am so sick of all the, fern feelin, tree huggin, enviro hippy crap! 21 inches??? Give me a break! When are we going to stop listening to these morons :bang: :bang: :bang: I am sure that it shows, but I am SICK AND TIRED OF HEARING B.S. LIKE THIS ARTICLE!

I wouldn't know. Everytime a plan is made, it kind of makes things even more complicated. Let me see, I would say that the PNW was the practice area with the NW Forest Plan (1993?). It pretty much decimated our little timber towns and locked up some very productive timber growing lands.

Maybe this is the second plan. Note that the definition of Old Growth is now to be based on diameter size.

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/12/17/science/earth/17timber.html?_r=1&hpw

:dizzy:Well thell get rid of logging yet plenty of country's will be happy to export their wood to us.

BOHICA!:dizzy:

They could start by not getting a Christmas tree for the White House.:censored:!

Mr. HE:cool:

Haha! the holiday tree....thats funny. we have a nice park in the city here where each year they fix it up with lights, trees, huge ornaments and such....we have these really old spraling live oaks here....so for years it was called christmas in the oaks.....now, in order to not offend anyone it is called celebration in the oaks....What a bunch of bulls&^%t! How about you shut up and come "celebrate" the season at "christmas in the oaks"

Every vacant lot in every city, every crack house and meth house, etc. should be bulldozed over and then plant a few hundred trees per acre. We could easy spend a few billion doing that and sequester some atmospheric carbon dioxide while we're at it!

How about some serious funding for research into stopping the emerald ash borer, wooly adelgid, asian longhorn, oak wilt, pine bark beetles, etc.?

My stomach actually churned when I read an announcement today that the FS was going to start working on a nationwide plan for our forests. It will take years, but no timber words were used. It was recreation, wildlife, and restoration. I'll have to read it more closely, like I said, I felt sick.

They will take public comments. Note the word take.

My stomach actually churned when I read an announcement today that the FS was going to start working on a nationwide plan for our forests. It will take years, but no timber words were used. It was recreation, wildlife, and restoration. I'll have to read it more closely, like I said, I felt sick.

They will take public comments. Note the word take.

Yep, take public comments from the all the anti-logging, earth is becoming an oven, let's kill all the humans, millionaire run, the environment is our excuse to get power, political organizations.

We are really living in some upside down times. All the least qualified people are the ones with the say and making the decisions.

Not you, slowp, all this is happening several levels above the work you do. :cheers:

Mr. HE:cool:

Back