Protection Advice?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pyromaniac guy

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
back again with another question. i am looking for a decent helmet, visor, goggle set... all i can find online is what is offered under the stihl site. i am just looking for other suggestions and advice please. thanks in advance

Hve you checked any of the sponsor links at the top of the page. Bailey's or Sherrill's wiil have what you are looking for, as do a bunch of other places. Heck your local chainsaw dealer ought to have some in stock if he's worth a d@mn.

I use a stihl lid with the visor and muffs built in, bout $50 at the stihl dealer. Seems to be a good helmet love the features and tightens down nice, over all most comfortable lid i've ever sat on my head. Saw a much less user friendly lid at TSC the other day for $60 so I guess the stihl isn't to badly priced, and I'm quite sure if they put there name on it it'll do its job, thankfuly I've yet to test mine out personally.

Usually an industrial hardware store has all you need. First you get a hard hat; the one with clips for hear muffs. Lately I have seen both mesh and clear plastic covers that attach in the front of hard hats. This set up costs around the same as the husky, stihl hats.

the "bay" (ebay). I got a couple Peltors for a super price. The only downside was that they were red w/ the Shindaiwa logo, but who cares. Maybe I'll just get a Shindaiwa saw too. Or put a Jonsered sticker on it and buy that red Jonny I've been wanting.

I have 2 Husky helmates one a regular chainsaw helmate and one an arborists helmate. Only diffrence being the arborists one has a shorter peak and a chin strap.

They both have a full face metal visor and ear muffs, you can change the ear muff if you want to the super high noise reduction level ones if you want. The helmates can also have venterlation holes cut in if you knock out the relevent bits of plastic on the lid. This does negagate the thermal protection factor but i doubt you need that. Personly i prefer the long peak one working with big saws on the ground since if it comes back at your face you have thoses few extra inches.

pyromaniac guy said:
back again with another question. i am looking for a decent helmet, visor, goggle set... all i can find online is what is offered under the stihl site. i am just looking for other suggestions and advice please. thanks in advance
Although I'm sure you've bought something already, the question may come up again.

Being a private party saw operator--I've never been required to use safety equipment but usually wear boots and pants and earplugs, although I have trimmed a limb or two in short pants and sandals--spur of the campsite moment deals.;)

Having said that, I just bought the Jonny/Husky branded hardhat with screen and hearing protection. Absolutely love it and plan to weedwhack with it too. The hearing protection is fast on/off. Sure beats waiting on plugs to expand.

$40 at my local sawshop.

Just bought the helmet/visor/muff combo from Stihl dealer about 15 minutes ago for $44.95. Nice set, fits nice and looks sturdy.

I must admit I got the first beneficial use of my Peltor system two weeks ago. A good size limb decided to part from the trunk of a snagged tree. It hit my head first and then glanced down to my elbow where a nice three inch strawberry still remains. My head and helmet were in good shape. Until two years back, I always wore seperate muffs and glasses, with a stocking cap. The helmet prevented a star show in the middle of the day!

Helmet has paid for itself

I dropped a small alder into some vine maple a couple days ago. I was feeling pretty froggy as she went pretty much in the direction I wanted. Started limbing and one of the vine maples came loose and slapped me a good one across the visor on my helmet. I'm a believer now.:D

Latest posts

Back