"Pruned" American Elm

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JeffL

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
This is on a local college campus we do work for. Theres a bit of resentment towards us from the grounds crew at the college, as they feel we are there taking their work.........

This is just good proof why you hire arborists, and not jackasses with man lifts.

We resistographed this American Elm back in late November, the main trunk is nearly entire hollow, and next to high traffic footpaths, the main driveway into campus, and parking areas. We were going to crane it out. We come back in earlier january to do some cabling and pruning on a ton of big Sugar Maples we root pruned and airspaded for soil compaction, and this was apparently the grounds guys solution for the Elm tree.......keep in mind, this tree was the classic American Elm prior to the "pruning", and it still doesnt change the fact its a hollow tree, in a high traffic area......:dizzy:

Our "main" climber was so upset, our crane jobs are so few and far between, he was really looking forward to this tree........haha

Uglyelm.jpg

It'll be dead in 3 years! kinda small for a crane removal, NO? Maybe the climber should get a life. That tree's a one hour on the ground, if that. Nice pic though.

Elms will take heavy pruning. I mean heavy, like cutting a 6 inch peice back to a 1/2 inch lateral. If you have ever been to Boston Common you will see examples of wht i am talking about. They sucker like crazy. You could have kept that tree, lots of management would have been required, but you could have kept it. THe company I used to work for pruned a ton of the elms in the boston common, including the historically important "oldest elms in america" They are also almost entirely hollow, but through non-traditional means they can be kept. Toobad those guys ruined the form of the tree, it looks like a big box elder now...:mad:

darn, wish I could lose as much weight as that tree did........

At least they left a few small sprouts on it at the bottom.

Last edited:
Back