Pruning Branch for New Growth

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

treeplanterguy

Reaction score
I planted an Autumn Blaze Maple May 2007. This spring two of the branches have leafed out only at 8 inches from the end. The branches are about 30inches long, 1/4 inch thick, 1/2 way up the 12 foot high trunk and leaders, and at 60 degree angle from the trunk. Is it ok to prune the terminal bud in order to promote lateral growth or will this just cause sucker growth and hurt things? When should the pruning be done?

Do you have any pictures? Tip die back could indicate transplant shock. I would not cut anything live at this time. (I wouldn't cut anything unless you are absolutely, 100% sure it is dead.) Trees need at least 1 year per 1" of caliper to reestablish after planting.

The tree needs all leaf surface it can get during this time to produce the energy needed for development and establishment. (When you do come to trimming a maple tipping it back may create an undersired growth pattern; so you want to cut to appropriate laterals.)

The number one cause of tree mortality after planting is inappropriate irrigation so check your watering schedule. The most common cause of trees declining or struggling in the longer term is planting too deep so double check the depth it has been planted.

Sylvia

Latest posts

Back