PTO Splitters, size and brand recommendations welcome!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gyro_t

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I live in NE Oregon and have been heating with wood for 30 years. Due to the ravages of age, I am giving in and getting a splitter. Most of what we split is Western Larch and Doug Fir, and Lodgepole pine, however on our place we have a lot of Black Locust that presents more of a physical challenge for me. I lean toward the PTO splitter, because I have my hands full on our farm trying to maintain little gas engines on various equipment. I want an American made unit. The only brand I have found locally is a Speeco and they don't have one that has the hydraulics self-contained. I am looking for guidance on this. Speed is not a huge issue, but reliability is. Splitting about 10 cord a year between two households. I have a friend that says don't get less than 22 ton.(?) Thanks in advance!

I live in NE Oregon and have been heating with wood for 30 years. Due to the ravages of age, I am giving in and getting a splitter. Most of what we split is Western Larch and Doug Fir, and Lodgepole pine, however on our place we have a lot of Black Locust that presents more of a physical challenge for me. I lean toward the PTO splitter, because I have my hands full on our farm trying to maintain little gas engines on various equipment. I want an American made unit. The only brand I have found locally is a Speeco and they don't have one that has the hydraulics self-contained. I am looking for guidance on this. Speed is not a huge issue, but reliability is. Splitting about 10 cord a year between two households. I have a friend that says don't get less than 22 ton.(?) Thanks in advance!
I have a three point Ram Splitter on my 30 up but I have a power take off princes pump my splitter is only 20 ton on idle it split every thing 4 ways very seldom do I throttle then right backto idle give Doug a call.

Blockbuster and timberwolf make some pretty slick units. Both made in USA. Wallenstein (canada)also make nice stuff that is more suited to homeowner/farm use. Other two are more commercial.

I looked HARD at all the PTO splitters I could find, and one stood out! The Timberwolf TW3HD.

Once I looked it over, it was a no brainer for me, and I bought one.

I love this thing!

standard.jpg

EVERYTHING I've got my hands on goes right through the 4-way wedge, and off the table out on my pile, no problem at all. It's well designed, built tough and fast working!

standard.jpg

I still think it's a better splitter than the other 3 point models...

SR

Looks very stout. Did you find a local dealer where you live or did you order it direct?

I don't think you can buy one direct, I called several dealers, found the absolute best deal and drove to get it. It turned out that the best deal was only about 40 miles from here...

It's VERY well built,

standard.jpg

SR

I use a americancls.com 3pt horizontal splitter. Works well. Is fairly fast and plenty of power.

Are you looking for one with it's own pto driven pump?
Ram splitters three point comes with a princess pump. Thats what I have a 20 ton it does a great job on idle 4 way sometimes I have to hit the throttle up a little bit and then back to idle

Ram splitters three point comes with a princess pump. Thats what I have a 20 ton it does a great job on idle 4 way sometimes I have to hit the throttle up a little bit and then back to idle
I am contacting them tomorrow. I am also going to check out Iron & Oak, Americancls, and TImberwolf for pricing, comparison of specs, and dealer proximity. I sure appreciate everyone's time and willingness to share your experiences. Thanks,

When I priced the different ones out, the TW3HD was the most expensive, but it came with the PTO pump, (an $8 to &1,200. + dollar option for some of the others) it came with the 4-way wedge that is REALLY built strong. Also the 4-way can be flipped, to make bigger or smaller splits. The main wedge is 12" tall, taller than most and it has a big enough oil tank for continuous use.

Someone else may not be willing to pay for the better design and extra strength, but I'm always willing to pay more up front to get a better design, stronger tools that get the job done faster...

Good luck on your search for a tool that fills your needs,

SR

Yes, looking not to use tractor hydraulics, only the PTO drive, so the unit would have its own pump and reservoir.
Ram Splitter makes a three point 20 ton with a Princies pump. as a kit I have one and thats all you need I have great success with mine and it 5 years old

Ram Splitter makes a three point 20 ton with a Princies pump. as a kit I have one and thats all you need I have great success with mine and it 5 years old

The Ram looks great, and I have contacted them for a quote. The Timberwolf is top drawer, but looking at paying close to $1500 more for that splitter over the Ram or the Iron and Oak. Yes, it has a large hydraulic reservoir and is built like a tank, but at less than 10 cords a year, I don't think I can justify it. Anything wrong with that logic? I am going to order the Iron and Oak 22 ton model unless this forum discourages me from that brand for some reason. Thanks for everyone's input

The Ram looks great, and I have contacted them for a quote. The Timberwolf is top drawer, but looking at paying close to $1500 more for that splitter over the Ram or the Iron and Oak. Yes, it has a large hydraulic reservoir and is built like a tank, but at less than 10 cords a year, I don't think I can justify it. Anything wrong with that logic? I am going to order the Iron and Oak 22 ton model unless this forum discourages me from that brand for some reason. Thanks for everyone's input

The I & O model has been on my wish list for some time; I keep stumbling over the price of the 4 way wedge. If and when I buy one, I will likely design a detachable table for the rear similar in size and shape as the Super Split table. Ron

Latest posts

Back