Pull Start Recoil Spring Oiling

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RacerX

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
I just replaced the old spring on my 028 figuring that it was worn out. When I opened the spring case it was covered in dried out grease or oil. Does anyone oil their starter recoil springs?

I'll have to take the cover off both the 028 and 2x 029 and look when I get back form dinner

Recoil springs are best left clean and dry.

If it is still coiled up, I wash it with a brush in mineral spirits, dry and reinstall. If I have to recoil the darn thing, I drag it thru a shop towel wetted with WD-40.

Any oil or grease just attracts dirt and saw chips. A dab of white lithium grease on the pulley post is all the recoil needs.

When I finally took it apart to install the new spring I found a caked mess. Probably didn't even need the new spring just a good cleaning. :msp_rolleyes:

Mine were clean

I just blow them off since I was in there a few chips and that was it

According to the service manual for the 028 it says to "Lubricate rewind spring with resin-free oil" and in another manual it says to "Coat bore in rope rotor with STIHL special lubricant"
I see no reason not to lubricate provided you don't go overboard.

I guess if you are worried about dust you could use powdered graphite.

Regards

Phil

The best I have found is one of the DRY lubes that are sold for use on Mountain Bike chains, doesn`t attract any crud & keeps the spring clean & lubricated. Just a quick spray as most are in aerosol cans

The best I have found is one of the DRY lubes that are sold for use on Mountain Bike chains, doesn`t attract any crud & keeps the spring clean & lubricated. Just a quick spray as most are in aerosol cans

Yep. In the states we have a great dry lubricant available from PB Blaster and it is excellent on recoil springs and Spencer (forestry) measuring tapes.

Back