Pulling cord with no spark plug

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

t_andersen

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Will it damage the ignition coil to pull the start cord when the spark plug cable is not fixed to the spark plug, or when the spark plug cable is on a sparkplug that is not mounted in the saw and not grounded?

I assume that when you pull the cord you generate a high voltage. When it becomes high enough it will make a spark in the spark plug and thereby limit the voltage buildup to a certain maximum. If the spark plug is not grounded or the spark plug cable loose, there is nothing to limit the maximum voltage, so there is a risk of a spark inside the ignition coil, damaging the coil.

What do the experts say?

you should ground the plug wire, I know automotive coils can be damaged if the coil is forced to discharge somewhere other than through the plug wire to ground. I assume saws are the same.

IMO it doesnt hurt saw long as you dont try to start it without plug since the flywheel wont generate any electricity if it doesnt spin fast enough...

Stihl advises against it, but... I haven't managed to destroy one yet. I do see the occasional bad ignition module though, so...

Best to just connect a plug and ground it. Big alligator clips works fine, then to te cylinder fins with a smaller clip.

Of course - if you have the saw ignition "off", none of this matters!!!!

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back