Pulling the trigger on the Milwaukee Hatchet

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
No, I am serious….just found one on eBay for 105 bucks…it will be great for her to cut up sticks and twigs…

been buying her quads since she was 5, but she’s a few years from driving age still. And she’s probably a better shot than you..lol

she’ll absolutely love it…I think I’ll even paint it pink for her…
It will chop your daughters left hand off quicker than you can say "ooops" :D

I wasn't expecting it to have a ton of chainspeed, but the full house and the torque is plenty. I've cut some Ironwood, Hickory and Oak, even 8 inches, by rolling the log to make the cut through. Are you saying chain speed is going to be higher with w/ a higher aH battery?

Further, I DID buy it to be lightweight for when I am in real thick woods marking out flyways, so I am trying to keep it light. I have lots of chainsaws, when I am flagging a flyway for a forestry mulcher to follow, I don't need to be "working" a saw- thats what the forestry mulcher is for.
voltage is the same but amperage is greatly increased generating more torque output. The chain Milwaukee provides is 3/8 lp .043 with a cutter every other link (as many as it is possible to fit) for smoother cutting in tiny branches and its a anti kickback design. It weighs about 4.5lbs with 4.0 battery included so I would assume its designed with the idea of anyone over 75 pounds could use it comfortably for extended times and the over size and design of the handles creates huge control over any possible kickback produced. I'm not saying its a toy but it is as close to a toy that a operational chainsaw could be made but it serves a purpose to a select part of the population giving them the ability to work with a saw instead of hiring it out. I'd be tempted to run standard stihl LP yellow chain on it and call it skip chain LOL

It will chop your daughters left hand off quicker than you can say "ooops" :D
Granddaughters…it’s for my granddaughter….

and I wouldn’t put it past her to chop yours off..and she may even say oops..not sure… but she’s a good judge of character…be careful if you’re ever at the farm :laugh:

No, I am serious….just found one on eBay for 105 bucks…it will be great for her to cut up sticks and twigs…

been buying her quads since she was 5, but she’s a few years from driving age still. And she’s probably a better shot than you..lol

she’ll absolutely love it…I think I’ll even paint it pink for her…
Yeah Okay, she will use it for cutting things, but thats on you. I don't put it on sticks or twigs, thats just stupid,

What does her ability to shoot have to do with anything? I hunt, I dress, butcher and eat what I hit. whats your point?

Really, tell us what you think of the tool, when you get it, okay. Beyond that, if it isn't related to reviewing the tool, could you find another thread, you aren't contributing to this one?

Granddaughters…it’s for my granddaughter….

and I wouldn’t put it past her to chop yours off..and she may even say oops..not sure… but she’s a good judge of character…be careful if you’re ever at the farm :laugh:
Yea but of course it would be the same with a son, some people in here brags about giving a pink 660 to their 5 year old. I would not encourage it, I would let it come as an interest when the time comes if so be it.
Battery drill or 660, I consider both a tool - not a toy.

Yeah Okay, she will use it for cutting things, but thats on you. I don't put it on sticks or twigs, thats just stupid,

What does her ability to shoot have to do with anything? I hunt, I dress, butcher and eat what I hit. whats your point?

Really, tell us what you think of the tool, when you get it, okay. Beyond that, if it isn't related to reviewing the tool, could you find another thread, you aren't contributing to this one?
We cut a lot of wood here…nothing stupid about that at all..but I’ll let you know if she likes it…

and I sincerely hope you don’t mind but I’ll contribute as I see fit…

Then get on with CONTRIBUTING. Your statement she is probably a better shot than me? What does that have to do with the TOOL? You came on the thread intimating it was a toy suitable for a child- I suggested it is not a toy, and ought to be treated with respect because of the potential for injury, such as, an operator ought to have some substantial expereince with tools or vehicles that they have demonstrated some skill and appreciation for the dangers involved.

It has a full house of teeth on the chain, its meant for one handed operation. I would seriously re-consider givng it to a person who has small hands and is not physically strong enough to hold it with one hand, it has torque and the full house will grab and pull. I wouldn't even think of "trimming" a 20" split down to 16 inches by holding the saw with one hand, and the split with the other.

It has no chain brake. It also has a trigger, and a safety button, which are imperfect for a small hand- one of the biggest complaints you'll find in on line reviews, by users of both sexes and all size hands.

See, I've used it, and you have not, I speak from the experience, and you do not. Yet you still want to go on about it. Again, putting this tool into sticks and twigs? Well, you may be having fun with words, but I caution you not to underestimate this. It would not be my GRANDdaughters first chainsaw to operate and certainly not on twigs and sticks- it would be more like a good rear handle 30 cc, with two handles on a 12" by 8 foot log locked into my grapple, so she can start with cutting cookies or bucking some rounds.

voltage is the same but amperage is greatly increased generating more torque output. The chain Milwaukee provides is 3/8 lp .043 with a cutter every other link (as many as it is possible to fit) for smoother cutting in tiny branches and its a anti kickback design. It weighs about 4.5lbs with 4.0 battery included so I would assume its designed with the idea of anyone over 75 pounds could use it comfortably for extended times and the over size and design of the handles creates huge control over any possible kickback produced. I'm not saying its a toy but it is as close to a toy that a operational chainsaw could be made but it serves a purpose to a select part of the population giving them the ability to work with a saw instead of hiring it out. I'd be tempted to run standard stihl LP yellow chain on it and call it skip chain LOL
Sorry Cookies, didn't see your post. I think from reading your post above, you havent operated or owned it? It only has one handle for operation, the big rectangle is not meant to be used two handed, and I feel, after using it and hundreds of other saws, you REALLY shouldn't use it with two hands.

Yes, I bought it for a specific reason and it works great.

Your post brings up another point- it really doesn't have any dogs, its pretty agressive chain, and if the object isn't sizeable or secured, its going to grab it, throw it, and throw the saw around, I'm not a guy with Olive Oyle arms.... more like PopEye himself. the Stihl chain (making it a skip chain) would use up battery and do less work. I think Milwakee did a good R and D on this tool, use it for what it is, just like it is.

Then get on with CONTRIBUTING. Your statement she is probably a better shot than me? What does that have to do with the TOOL? You came on the thread intimating it was a toy suitable for a child- I suggested it is not a toy, and ought to be treated with respect because of the potential for injury, such as, an operator ought to have some substantial expereince with tools or vehicles that they have demonstrated some skill and appreciation for the dangers involved.

It has a full house of teeth on the chain, its meant for one handed operation. I would seriously re-consider givng it to a person who has small hands and is not physically strong enough to hold it with one hand, it has torque and the full house will grab and pull. I wouldn't even think of "trimming" a 20" split down to 16 inches by holding the saw with one hand, and the split with the other.

It has no chain brake. It also has a trigger, and a safety button, which are imperfect for a small hand- one of the biggest complaints you'll find in on line reviews, by users of both sexes and all size hands.

See, I've used it, and you have not, I speak from the experience, and you do not. Yet you still want to go on about it. Again, putting this tool into sticks and twigs? Well, you may be having fun with words, but I caution you not to underestimate this. It would not be my GRANDdaughters first chainsaw to operate and certainly not on twigs and sticks- it would be more like a good rear handle 30 cc, with two handles on a 12" by 8 foot log locked into my grapple, so she can start with cutting cookies or bucking some rounds.

Unless your Granddaughter already knows how to start, and run, a gas powered chainsaw, maybe has a drivers license, and has riden dirtbkes or quads, I wouldn't recommend it. My Daughter, and DIL, well, they can and I'd let them use it.
I was referring to your non contribution…and she no doubt is.

and nowhere did I say it was a toy, so stop. But you have to admit, it would look good pink for her.

I’ve used other hand pruner saws but I’ve never seen one this tiny or cheap…they all suck but it will be great for what she likes to do.

am I the odd man out for getting my granddaughter into things like cutting wood on the farm? I can’t be….I can still remember when she rolled he quad the first time….she got up, rolled the yahama50 over, plugged the dead man back in and went on her way…don’t be afraid to spend the priceless times with your family while you can and more importantly, make them happen.

I was referring to your non contribution…and she no doubt is.

and nowhere did I say it was a toy, so stop. But you have to admit, it would look good pink for her.

I’ve used other hand pruner saws but I’ve never seen one this tiny or cheap…they all suck but it will be great for what she likes to do.

am I the odd man out for getting my granddaughter into things like cutting wood on the farm? I can’t be….I can still remember when she rolled he quad the first time….she got up, rolled the yahama50 over, plugged the dead man back in and went on her way…don’t be afraid to spend the priceless times with your family while you can and more importantly, make them happen.

So you THINK me suggesting a person needs some experince with a saw or a vehicle FIRST before using this tool was not contributing, Stop, Thats dumb.

I dont know why the color has anything to do with it, but you go and do what you want with it, including underestimating its usefullness (particularly for my needs and uses) or its inherent danger or potential for injury.

If it doesn't fill a need for you, why do you comment? Read what I have said about my USING this exact tool. I'd much rather see her using a MS 201 Rear handle and cutting rounds on a saw buck than to think this is a toy and its not making firewood.

And no, you are not being ostracized for getting your Grand into tools, work, and play. All my kids rode Tri Zinger 60 2 strokes before bicycles. And have learned to surf instead of swimming, and they hunt. They all have great confidence and are succesfull people, Most all of them ride dirt and street, and every one can build a home from the gorund up.

So you THINK me suggesting a person needs some experince with a saw or a vehicle FIRST before using this tool was not contributing, Stop, Thats dumb.

I dont know why the color has anything to do with it, but you go and do what you want with it, including underestimating its usefullness (particularly for my needs and uses) or its inherent danger or potential for injury.

If it doesn't fill a need for you, why do you comment? Read what I have said about my USING this exact tool. I'd much rather see her using a MS 201 Rear handle and cutting rounds on a saw buck than to think this is a toy and its not making firewood.

And no, you are not being ostracized for getting your Grand into tools, work, and play. All my kids rode Tri Zinger 60 2 strokes before bicycles. And have learned to surf instead of swimming, and they hunt. They all have great confidence and are succesfull people, Most all of them ride dirt and street, and every one can build a home from the gorund up.
no, I think your assumptions are just that, and hindered (and still hinder) your contribution on the saw.

anyway…isn’t it nice to interject your kids into the discussion. We can contribute and add a personal touch to help others here see how we do/did things to help kids get active and off the techno dope.

no, I think your assumptions are just that, and hindered (and still hinder) your contribution on the saw.

anyway…isn’t it nice to interject your kids into the discussion. We can contribute and add a personal touch to help others here see how we do/did things to help kids get active and off the techno dope.
So what chainsaws do you - yourself, use when limbing the several miles of branches on a tree?
Im not talking about the chainsaws you would only buy for your kid, I'm talking about what chainsaws you feel is good enough for yourself to use.

So what chainsaws do you - yourself, use when limbing the several miles of branches on a tree?
Im not talking about the chainsaws you would only buy for your kid, I'm talking about what chainsaws you feel is good enough for yourself to use.
my two go to saws now are the 261 and the 500i. The 500i just puts things in the ground As I run a 36” b/c. I would never put a gas saw in the hands of a kid with todays options to learn how a chain functions. I still remember my dad pitting the pioneer p20 in my hands for the first time…I still have that saw….just not my father…

the chain it comes with is not a standard chain, it has roughly double the number of cutters per foot, If you want a less aggressive chain I'm betting Oregon makes one with smaller chisels that would handle smaller stuff with less grabby performance and jams.

my two go to saws now are the 261 and the 500i. The 500i just puts things in the ground As I run a 36” b/c. I would never put a gas saw in the hands of a kid with todays options to learn how a chain functions. I still remember my dad pitting the pioneer p20 in my hands for the first time…I still have that saw….just not my father…
Yes, I have a couple of powerful saws too that can pull long bars, but feel its kinda stupid to carry around that when cutting all those miles of 4 to 6" branches, dont you? A 261 is nice with a 13-15" bar and cuts that buried in wood, but its heavy compared to a top handle that does the job just as good at 4-6".

Yes, I have a couple of powerful saws too that can pull long bars, but feel its kinda stupid to carry around that when cutting all those miles of 4 to 6" branches, dont you?
The 261? Never…that saw is awesome for limbing and utility work….the max I cut anymore is 42 to 48 inch, my boat anchor saws never leave the barn anymore as the 500i is a corvette of a saw.

my GD will be able to cut all day with her new pink saw on the oaks…

The 261? Never…that saw is awesome for limbing and utility work….the max I cut anymore is 42 to 48 inch, my boat anchor saws never leave the barn anymore as the 500i is a corvette of a saw.

my GD will be able to cut all day with her new pink saw on the oaks…
You cut 42 to 48" branches with your 261?

Latest posts

Back