Pump size

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

husky455rancher

Addicted to ArboristSite
AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
is there a way to tell what size pump is on my splitter. i dont recall seeing any markings on it. i think its either a 11 or 16 but im not sure. if its 11 i may be inclined to upgrade. also what size motor would be needed to run a 16?

8 hp, if you look up haldex pumps you should be able to tell which you have

is there a way to tell what size pump is on my splitter. i dont recall seeing any markings on it. i think its either a 11 or 16 but im not sure. if its 11 i may be inclined to upgrade. also what size motor would be needed to run a 16?

They say 5 hp or better will do for 11 Gpm pump. And a minimum of 8 HP or larger gas engine for a 16 Gpm pump.

h455r, this should get you close.

Multiply the area of the piston by the stroke of the cylinder.
Divide that result by 231 (Number of cu inches in a gallon)
Take this result and devide it by the time to extend in seconds, (no load) devided by 60.
The result will be you approximate gpm.

For example

With a 4 inch x 24 inch stroke cylinder the volume is:
3.14 x (2)² x 24 / 231= 1.31 gallons

If the extend time is 6 seconds:
6 / 60 = .1 minutes

1.31 gallons / .1 minutes = 13 gallons per minute

Not an exact measurement, but will get you close if you take your numbers and plug and chug.

Take Care

455, I've been wondering the same on mine, just got it. I've had a lot of luck identifying odd items by simply typing the part numbers into google. Most of the time the (whatever it is) comes right up. Good trick in our detail shop to decide to keep or toss stuff left in people's cars...Lanny

The Barnes/Haldex style 2-stage pump sizes can be identified by outside dimensions. The 11 gpm pump is 4 7/8 " long. The 16 gpm pump is 5 1/2 " long.

Another quick way of telling the difference is the gap between the suction tube and the pressure adjusting screw. The gap is 1" on the 16 gpm pump and the gap is 3/8" on the 11 gpm pump.

The pump on the left is 16 gpm.

Back