Purchased a stihl ms361

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jjohns5

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Hi everyone,I'm new to the site and just want some good info about keeping my saw at peak performance.It is the first saw I have owned; because I grew up in San Diego there was really no need for a chainsaw but now I have relocated and now reside in Northern Ca near lake Tahoe with plenty of forest to roam and cooler temps.This will be for firewood use only.My purchase today was a pretty much like new Stihl ms361 w/25" bar came with the manual and was the original owner,was told it had been used for a couple weeks.I posted a wanted add in craigslist and ended up scoring.If I would have passed this deal up I would never have been able to live it down.I have read nothing but great things about this saw so I just need some tips,comments about what you think,winter storage,oil to use,maintenance ect..Thanks for the help.Oh yeah,paid $300 even!!

:frown: makes me miss mine... first new saw i ever owned. some coward broke in and stole it. state farm thought they were doing me a favor by sending me a ms362, sold it two weeks later. not the same

your pics, nice saw btw.
212673d1324525792-img_1924-jpg

212672d1324525777-img_1923-jpg

212670d1324525745-img_1920-jpg

212672d1324525777-img_1923-jpg

That is a great deal, if memory servs me that saw was over 6 bills new...

If this is you first experience w/ a saw be careful go to the Stihl web site, they have a lot of informative videos.

That bar is running full skip chisel chain (RSF it is Stihl chain) very aggressive, very easy to kick-back. I don't normally preach the PPE warning figure each to their own, but drop the $70 and get you safety chaps, then hope you never need them. Some of the best piece of mind you can buy.

Take time to learn to sharpen (Stihl has a good video on that as well), or buy spare chain and have the dealer do it for you just swap them as they dull. Some one said it on here before, but the best thing you can do to improve performance is run a sharp chain.

Keep the filter clean, clean it after every day of cutting, maybe more.

I run only Stihl Ultra mix oil in my saws, depending on the gas you can get if it has ethanol (and I ma sure Cali gas does) never want to store the saw w/ ethanol in it, or keep you mix for very long, only mix what you'll use in 30 days. Start w/ 1 gl at a time and go from there.

Good luck and good sawing, but be careful.

dw

:frown: makes me miss mine... first new saw i ever owned. some coward broke in and stole it. state farm thought they were doing me a favor by sending me a ms362, sold it two weeks later. not the same

That sucks. I had a dealer here once start talking to me about an even swap, my year old 361 even for his new 362.... said he had folks lined up for any remaining 361 saws he could find. Told him if they are that popular I'll hang on to it. :)

dw

What a deal, rep sent, one of the best 60cc saws made. Mine is on it's fourth year in a commercial firewood operation, no issues. I run a 18" on mine 99 percent of the time.
Use Stihl Ultra mix and the saw will last a lifetime. Congrats and safe sawing.

i went so far as to overpay for a blown up 360 to try to calm my seperation anxiety. no luck. like the 360.. but still have a soft spot for the 361. i think i should get one!

i went so far as to overpay for a blown up 360 to try to calm my seperation anxiety. no luck. like the 360.. but still have a soft spot for the 361. i think i should get one!

About 9 months ago one of my 2 dealers still had a 361 on the shelf. I was shocked myself. I wouldn't trade mine for anything (well.... ). It made the 50/70 plan hard though since it is a ~60cc-er. I had to hop up to the 60/90 plan :)

dw

Saw

Thanks for all the info.I actually felt kind of bad for the guy I bought it from today and have even thought about calling him up and giving him an extra hundred just for good faith.I have seen these go on ebay in used cond. for between 4 and 500,really nice guy,we maid a deal that I would let him use it if he ever needed it for a day of cutting which I thought was only fair,he was in need of the cash.He worked for the forest service and said after 2 weeks of using it on the crew he was told he had to use their Huskey's so there it is.I will definetly purchase some chaps and I do have some experience with cutting but fairly new so feel free to post what you think may help and I will read all and take it all into consideration.Oh yeah,I almost went down and bought a new 362 but have been doing some reseach and just thought the 361 beat it,Thanks again

That's a saw on my list to own. I bought a 391 for my first saw and gutted the exhaust. I ran a 28" bar on it with little problems, surprisingly. But still kick myself for not going to the right dealer. For the same price I got the ms391 at the dealer I bought it from I could have bought a 361 at the other. Good sawing to you.

But same as above: don't leave fuel in it stored for long time. Keep a sharp chain it helps prevent accidents, as well as wear and tear. Dont run the chain to tight. Use good oil and clean out the bar rails and air cleaner and you'll be fine. Be sure to close the choke when cleaning or removing air filter. I have to say I am jealous of your purchase.

---
I am here: http://maps.google.com/maps?ll=48.916347,-122.121191

Saw

I blew the filter out yesterday after getting it home and making a few quick cuts just to test it.The buyer stressed keeping the bar rails clean and oil on the chain.He said to hold it close to a piece of wood and run it to make sure I see that steady stream of oil flowing off of the saw,Thanks

Saw

I blew the filter out yesterday after getting it home and making a few quick cuts just to test it.The seller stressed keeping the bar rails clean and oil on the chain.He said to hold it close to a piece of wood and run it to make sure I see that steady stream of oil flowing off of the saw,Thanks

The 361 is a great saw, but the US version really needs a muffler mod, I understand. :msp_wink:

Also get a shorter bar, 25" is ill balanced, and a bit much for regular use!

Looks like you got a good saw at a good price. I have only run the 361 at a gtg, but I really liked it. You do realize that no chainsaw likes to be alone, so you will need to get another one soon to keep it from being lonely.

Congrats!!! That's a killer deal. I agree with SawTroll put on a smaller bar. I think for this saw the best size is either an 18" or 20". Enjoy.

Back