Purpose of small ring?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You attach the retriever ball to your climbing line (or tie a knot in the line). The retriever ball can go through the big ring and not through the small one. You can then pull the cambium saver down from the tree. If not, you would have to climb the tree again to retrieve your saver.

What should the inside diameter be of the small ring? It seems like it would have be pretty small to keep a throw bag from slipping through it

I just use an overhand knot at the end of the rope. Goes right through the big ring and hangs on the small one just right.

You don't use a throw bag as a retriever ball, there are special ones, although we just use washers of the appropriate size and with a small prussic loop.

I've had an overhand knot hang up in the larger ring. On the other hand, I've tied the overhand knot on the wrong leg of the rope and tried to put it through the small ring first (duhh). I'm not the sharpest knife in the drawer.

You don't use a throw bag as a retriever ball, there are special ones, although we just use washers of the appropriate size and with a small prussic loop.

I've had an overhand knot hang up in the larger ring. On the other hand, I've tied the overhand knot on the wrong leg of the rope and tried to put it through the small ring first (duhh). I'm not the sharpest knife in the drawer.
I've never had the knot hang. Maybe a larger rope? But I've used Arbormaster in the past, and that is relatively thick/stiff rope.

I've pulled up the wrong end too. What a pain. Gotta set a new line to climb to it. It would probably hold to climb up SRT. But a certain bad injury fall if not, so there is no way it is worth trying to rely on that for life support! Sometimes I tie the throw line back on the line to retrieve the friction saver. It takes 2-3 extra minutes...but if something gets hung up, it can save 30. I haven't pulled the wrong end since I'v started using a tight eye splice for DdRT. It is always the unspliced end that gets pulled through the way I set it up.

I always tie my throwline to my rope during retrieval as well and for two reasons. First is if its a semi tight crotch and the ring gets stuck, you can re-set real quick and try again. Also, it gives you control so you aren't dropping life support out of the tree.I also use a wichards shackle on my cambium saver and the spliced eye catches that. Its an extra step but well worth it

If you don't know why the rings are different diameters then you shouldn't be climbing. Hopefully you haven't left the ground yet!

Sent from my SM-G389F using Tapatalk

I climbed natural crotch for several years before I was assigned a friction saver. If you don't have one, you don't know what they can do or the parts, doesn't mean you don't know how to climb.

I climbed natural crotch for several years before I was assigned a friction saver. If you don't have one, you don't know what they can do or the parts, doesn't mean you don't know how to climb.
I quite agreed Sir, i also started by climbing with a natural crotch t.i.p. My point was that even if you don't have a friction saver one should at least know what they are, how they work and how their installed. This individual is talking about starting his own business and running a saw in a tree but clearly doesn't even know the basics. Worring!

I quite agreed Sir, i also started by climbing with a natural crotch t.i.p. My point was that even if you don't have a friction saver one should at least know what they are, how they work and how their installed. This individual is talking about starting his own business and running a saw in a tree but clearly doesn't even know the basics. Worring!

"Worrying" even!

Latest posts

Back