question about back cuts (Moved from homeowner forum)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
There seems to be no answer to this question as the post count shows. What is clear is some like a high release cout and others prefer a lower cut. 2"-3" is just fine in my book. 3" inches is a good margin of safety on swell butts.

This has to be a record.... Skoty has now contributed his knowledge to this thread under four different user names.

HILLBILLYREDNEC
Superfire
WeirdAlWood
WETWILLIEWET

How has the system allowed him to open two new accounts in 24 hours after being banned? Is there not a way to block his IP address?

How about a bore cut, and then a slightly downward sloped cut to sever the 'tie' strap?

That's what I believe the tree service guy used on this tree...

[video=youtube_share;FO9jf1JAt1U]http://youtu.be/FO9jf1JAt1U[/video]

You can't see him, but he made a face cut kinda like this: > with a back cut kinda like this: _/ The horizontal bore cut was first.

This was a slightly rotted out soft maple tree...

This was my neighbor's tree...

Sloping cut? Well, here we go again.

The old sloping back cut makes me want to discuss and learn the finer points of sending the butt off the back of the stump. Is it acceptable to put the back at a slight upward angle towards the face? I have accomplished the task with face angles and a level back cut about kirf lower than the face cut. The results are not always favorable however, and I believe it is due to not getting the angles right in accordance with the way the trees is growing. . If I had to send them off the back like that all day I think I would just have a piece of aluminum stock to lay in the face until I had the methods down.
So maybe this sloping back cut reference will scare up some interesting conversation anyway.

Is there not a way to block his IP address?

Residential IP's usually aren't static...business pay a good premium for that option usually.

Some companies set their dynamic IP leases are "stickier" then others.

When I had my 3G Wireless Broadband, every time I disconnected the dongle and plugged it back -- even if it was just resetting it -- I would pick up a new and very different IP address.

Just switched back to cable last week, haven't played with that modem yet...but my experience last time (~5 years ago) was turning the modem off overnight would cause me to get a new dynamic IP address when I turned it on.

The old sloping back cut makes me want to discuss and learn the finer points of sending the butt off the back of the stump. Is it acceptable to put the back at a slight upward angle towards the face? I have accomplished the task with face angles and a level back cut about kirf lower than the face cut. The results are not always favorable however, and I believe it is due to not getting the angles right in accordance with the way the trees is growing. . If I had to send them off the back like that all day I think I would just have a piece of aluminum stock to lay in the face until I had the methods down.
So maybe this sloping back cut reference will scare up some interesting conversation anyway.

idk, the weather, planet alignment, tilt of the earth, all that global warming stuff probly affects (or is it effects ?) the final outcome.

tricky to predict.

good to read bout the fishing. more productive venture, imo.

Indeed, though it's not like of the butt didn't go the tree wouldn't save out or anything. more of a making the job easier by pulling less cable up hill & hitting less plastic.. I have retrieved a few underwater tackle Christmas trees after repeatedly hoking them. sharpen the hooks and throw the lead and corkies in the tackle box and thats a few bucks of free stuff!

Back