Question about fire starter logs.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Pretty sure it's for the cat stoves like mine. However I have been using them recently if and only if I don't have coals to start with. I have a small stove so alot of times it is nearly out when I get home. I think the problem is the parafin wax can coat the cat which could ruin it. I use a very small piece 1" cube to start. Thats all I need. I'm even thinking about going smaller. Hopefully nothing bad will happen to the cat.

i used to use a kitchen knife to cut mine up with. but i've found by keeping them in my living room, where it's warmer than the cellar, they are softer and are just as easy to pull them apart by hand.

I guess Im old fashioned. I use newspaper, beer boxes and small sticks known as kindling to start my fires. I just have a problem with BUYING processed treated crap to start a fire when there are dead twigs laying everywhere.

:agree2:

Bow, you just have to be more assertive. :cheers::hmm3grin2orange:

I recently started recycling my used oil and older fuel mix. I combine them in a 5 gal bucket, and then have a couple smaller squirt bottles which I use to coat on my kindling. One quick snap of the MAPP gas torch and she's blazing away, and I don't have to find a way to get rid of the oil or gas.

Around here we call that 'boy scout water', we use it for starting campfires. Don't know if I'd use it in my wood stove though, could have too rich of a blend, too much gas go boom.

I use the fire starter logs, just pieces, in my wood stove in my fishhouse, I want it to take off for sure while I drill holes. In my shop wood stove I usually have enough kindling, empty beer boxes, scrapes of wood, paper bags, etc, to get a fire started.

I use the fire starter bars. I never thought about it. How would I know if my cat was working right? Is there a way to check it some how?

I use the fire starter bars. I never thought about it. How would I know if my cat was working right? Is there a way to check it some how?

Main thing would be not getting up to operating temps when engaged. That would be the main thing. I wouldn't think it would cause the cat to deteriorate, but checking for cracking and more than usual buildup.

My wife mixes dryer lint with melted wax from old candles and pours it into paper egg cartons. One egg section will start a fire. Works great.

Sorry people, butt there's a disconnect somewhere here for using firewater, firestarters, bellybutton lint, egg crate ear wax, MAPP, flamethrowers, etc.... Doesn't anyone use "tree wood" for heat ? :dizzy:

#1. When the butts are split you get chips. Many, many. Reach down, place said scraps into bucket or carton. e.g. for our yearly 4-6 cords there are ~10 2.5 gallon buckets of lovely wood chips. Chips = kindling.

#2. When you read the newspaper ( we of course being of a certain class:confused:, only read the WSJ...:cheers: ). When a print job goes to H, there is recycled bad print paper from your printer. Paper = tinder.

#3. Both chips and paper start fires.:monkey:

Yes for those who care, I'm in foul mood cause it's raining. This is a Maine winter. The ground is soft and soggy with ice underneath. No working the woods today. Excuse the above.....then again, it needed to be said ?:mad:

Latest posts

Back