Question About Husky Filing Kit

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pyromedic

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Hi Folks, New guy on the Forum here. I've been lurking for a while and just finished reading the Alternative to Sharpening a Chain thread. I didn't want to hijack that thread to ask my questions so here goes.
The Bailey's web site says the Husky Filing Kit only works on Husquvarna and Oregon Chains, but not Stihl chains? Why is that? The pitch is the same as is the filing angle (30 degrees). Are the rakers on Stihl chains that much different?, Spacing? Will it work on Stihl's yellow chains and not the green safety chains? What's the deal?

Curiously, the Husqvarna Depth Gauge Tool Bailey's - Husqvarna Depth Gauge Tool for .375 Pitch Chainsaw Chain states that it works on Stihl chains as well as several others.

Thanks in advance,
Steve

Howdy-

Welcome to the forum,

I'm no expert, so I may be wrong, but I use a husky combo filing guide all the time on my Stihl RSK 3/8" chain, and it cuts fine I think. Husky (oregon) uses a 10 deg up angle on the tooth and Stihl states to use 0 deg (flat) but I've read that any brand round groud chisel tooth should be 10 deg up. Like I said, I use the husky guide and it's easier to use and I like the combo tool because it has the depth gauge also, plus the Husky depth gauge is better as the tooth is filed shorter.

If you're talking about the roller type file guides, they work fine on all chains including Stihl. The width of the tie straps on Stihl chains are a bit wider so the guide doesn't fit unless you take a flat file and open up the "U" shaped channel. Only takes a few strokes to knock the corner off the guide and it will drop right down onto the chain just fine.
I use the roller guides and really like them. The depth guage works better too. I use 'em on every brand of chain out there.
je

The 3/8 Stihl RSC/RS cutter is a little lower in the front of the tooth than the Oregon LP/LPX so the slots on the guide that go over the bar need to be filed a little deeper, but the .325 and 3/8 lo pro it works fine.

Last edited:
The 3/8 Stihl RSC/RS cutter is a little lower in the front of the tooth than the Oregon LP/LPX so the slots on the guide that go over the bar need to be filed a little deeper, but the .325 and 3/8 lo pro it works fine.

Exactly - and remember to use 13/64" files on the Stihl chain, that recommendation is not a joke! :msp_wink:

Thanks for this info! I recently bought one and it does not fit on Stihl chains. I took it back and the dealer is calling his rep to see what the deal is. I didn't want to file on parts of the guide for fear of messing up the angles, but I guess that's what I will have to do.

Still not sure on how to use the raker guide because as near as I can tell, it doesn't come close to fitting over the raker and the next tooth. I must be doing it wrong?

Ted

I use the raker gauge more than the roller part on these, works great!
But I can't explain in words how it fits on...

Thanks for this info! I recently bought one and it does not fit on Stihl chains. I took it back and the dealer is calling his rep to see what the deal is. I didn't want to file on parts of the guide for fear of messing up the angles, but I guess that's what I will have to do.

Still not sure on how to use the raker guide because as near as I can tell, it doesn't come close to fitting over the raker and the next tooth. I must be doing it wrong?

Ted

If that stihl chain is .063, you may need to widen the slots that fit over the chain as well - and remember the Husky guide is set up for a 25 degree topp-plate angel, while Stihl recommends 30 (no big deal really).

Last edited:
Husky roller guide

I've used the Husky roller guide on my Stihl 3/8 chisel chains w/good results. Seems to give a pretty consistant sharpening angle and the saw cuts well. Raker gauge works too. Haven't opened up the roller guide w/a file , but have only noticed that I have to position the guide correctly on the chain...it seems that it's a little tight when seated completely down onto the chain but if I take a moment and get it seated correctly (seems to almost snap in place when done right), it allows the file to reach the cutter correctly. I guess I just assumed that that was the way it was supposed to fit to be correct...snug. I use a 13/64" file and after playing w/getting it seated correctly the first time I tried it it seems to work as it should. If I set it in place right it works well each time I use it. A very handy filing system as it turns out. Might have to try the mini for a 3/8 LP chain also.
Edit: Went out and looked at the roller guide after writing this. Took a flat file and swiped it across the side of the slot that fits onto the tie straps...hey, might fit down a bit easier now...not much to it.

Last edited:
customchainsawparts (e-bay) sell a Windsor branded roller guide. As far as roller guides go, I like them better than the Husky one. The rollers have v grooves and can move laterally so you never have the problem of wearing out the rollers because the file is not perfectly perpendicular.

Mark

customchainsawparts (e-bay) sell a Windsor branded roller guide. As far as roller guides go, I like them better than the Husky one. The rollers have v grooves and can move laterally so you never have the problem of wearing out the rollers because the file is not perfectly perpendicular.

Mark

Do you have a link for it ?

I couldn't find it

If I was a clever as the young fellows I could probably do that, but I am not sure how.

If you find customchainsawparts on e-bay, his store is actually called "cheap chainsawparts saw parts", then start scrolling through the McCulloch parts, that's how I always find them.

Right now he has the 3/8" guide listed for $5.95 + shipping, 22 sold and more than 10 available. .404 are also $5.95, he had 8 but now only has 6 (guess what happened?), .325 are also $5.95, 17 sold and 7 available.

Mark

Latest posts

Back