Question about our sweet gum tree

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tom2323

Reaction score
Hi,

we have a sweet gum tree that loses branches in high winds...
I want to get a tree company/arborist out here and look at it,
but I don't necessarily trust these folks...I fear they're going
to say to take the tree down, or suggest the most expensive
option...so I'm wondering if there are any established "rules"
about this kind of tree, as to how long branches should be to
best avoid breakage, etc.

Thanks so much.

Tom

Kind of a catch 22 , why don't you trust tree guys? You mean the roaming/door knocking tree guys or ones with credentials that don't go beggin for work?

Instead of taking advice from any guy with a chainsaw that says he's a tree guy, which is akin to listening to anybody on the internet you should go to Trees Are Good and read up, then search the database for a certified arborist. It's not a guarantee you'll get an expert but at least you'll know you're getting somebody who's interested in real tree care and not just a quick buck.

Kind of a catch 22 , why don't you trust tree guys? You mean the roaming/door knocking tree guys or ones with credentials that don't go beggin for work?

Instead of taking advice from any guy with a chainsaw that says he's a tree guy, which is akin to listening to anybody on the internet you should go to Trees Are Good and read up, then search the database for a certified arborist. It's not a guarantee you'll get an expert but at least you'll know you're getting somebody who's interested in real tree care and not just a quick buck.

That's exactly it--I don't trust anyone who isn't an arborist. Thanks for your input.

sweet gum branches should be cut about the same length as a freshly cut fescue lawn...

unless you want the stump ground out as well....

sorry, I just had too...lol

Last edited:
I'll assume by sweet gum you are talking about Liquidambar. A photo would help, and you might get some advice out of it.

Liquidambars are considered to be a bit of a pest here in australia. I dont mind them so much myself, but wouldn't want one anywhere near my house, pipes or anywhere near a drive or concrete/pavers. They are a vigorous tree and grow large, the roots are hungry for water and far reaching and the tree drops a lot of little balls that will twist your ankle if they are on a hard surface. They can be a fairly majestic tree, but for my mind I'd rather have a plane tree. Similar foliage, smoother trunk and the 'balls' disintegrate. Plane trees are a popular city tree over here if there is space for them.

I do get quite a bit of removal work for Liquidambars, and some work trimming them. As they get older they do need ongoing weight reduction to keep them in check, particularly if they are growing without any competition, and even more so if you have high winds in your area. It's a steady downhill slope from that point - older trees are in decline and the rate gets progressively steeper. Quality pruning is quite expensive in the long term, and for the amount of tree that gets removed it's more expensive than removal. For example, a quality 10% weight reduction spread out all over the tree keeping good form and not just hacking out big sections can cost as much as 1/3 of the cost of a full removal. As they get older, they branches get big and heavy. They have a lot of sail, move around a lot and get micro cracking. Once the cracks start, water gets in. From there decay starts. Most snapouts I have seen on these trees was a result of decay.

The overall decision to keep or remove depends on the age of the tree and life expectancy, location, and basic form of the tree. The straighter taller trees tend to do better then the wider spreading ones. If the tree had the top snapped out of it early in life then they get very spready and often not a lot you can do about it.

Anyway, put some pics up and see what responses you get.

I can't tell ya what they are on Australia but in Georgia they are sweetgum trees. I call um "weed trees". I wish someway I could kill all of um. They are somewhat brittle and have a tendency to snap when put under stress, like a strong wind. They grow along a root line. The root will run along the ground and go so far from the "mother" tree and up comes another one. And there they go.

To be called a pest is an understatement. If it were me I would remove the tree and poison the stump.

Last edited:
It's all we got

Yes, the sticker balls suck--you can't run freely barefoot on our front lawn in the summer--
but's the only tree in our front yard, our kids are 13 and 10, and if we lose it/cut it down
we'll never have a sizeable tree in our front yard again during their youth...so we want to
keep it...problems and all.

if you have the space, think about planting another tree for its eventual replacement. Think in tree years ;-)

Think about the yard, the size and shape the tree will eventually grow, where your pipes are, and access to the liquidambar for its eventual removal ie. dont go planting the new tree immediately under the liquidambar. If you do like that size/style of tree then consider a plane tree. Avoid liquidambars, camphor laurels, poplars, willows, eucalyptus, cypres pine, bamboo, palm trees. Maybe plant a couple fruit trees also if you have space and like fruit.

Shaun

If it's all you have, then take care of it.As far as the balls go, we have them all over, they will rot in a compost pile.Also, as a kid,we would find a pine tree that had a wound and have some pine sap running out of it.We would take that stuff and melt it in a soup can, dip those sweetgum balls in it, light them on fire and throw them at each other.Not as much fun as ########, but that's all we had.:msp_smile:
They are not bad trees, they make a real nice shade tree and are tough as a boot.The balls are nothing a rake, or nowadays they even have those sweepers you pull behind a lawn mower, won't take care of.

Back