Question about replacing engine on splitter

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Look at it this way. If you had not started it ( and seized the engine) before returning it, the owner would have had it seize on him the first time he ran it. What do you think he would have thought of you as a friend? I would be po'ed if I lent my splitter and it seized the first time I used it upon return. Fix it correctly, tell the owner what happened and you keep a friend for life.

Exactly why I checked it before we left. Done and done. While I plan on buying a splitter next year, it just wasn't in the budget this year. New saw replaced the one that died, flooding damage cost us about a grand, threw the in-laws a fancy anniversary part, bought the wife an HD camcorder so we can video our daughter, and need to replace my car this month. And so it goes. Stimulating the economy all by ourselves.

I couldnt log in yestarday when I read this...

Not really sure where your negative feelings for Briggs came from...I mean sure its no Honda....but they are far from trash...or as you put it "POS"...

I am a Briggs dealer and if you get me the numbers I will run them for you and find out of the short block is avaialble or if they have discontinued the replacement...

X3 on try to loosen it up. My neighbor fixed his splitters B&S motor this way after it was loaned out... If the piston is seized; a little oil down the plug hole and a few days of soaking can work wonders.

But I am sure if you wan to do it right and have no hard feelings then a new motor it is.

But it is worth a shot, and hey if it runs again; tell the friend when it kicks the bucket you will replace it...

*An update*

So tonight was the first chance we both got to revisit dead splitter.

I pull in with some tools, first thing my buddy says - "after you asked about the oil I checked - and there's NONE!"

So we oil her up, turn the flywheel with one of those offset box wrenches, and she's loosening up. LIFE! Compression is there; put the plug back in, and she's splitting wood again.

We rethreaded the oil release screw (or whatever its called) before all that and snugged her up. No visible leaks.

He had changed the oil right before sending her over to my house - so maybe it was leaking the whole time and I only checked it on the first day I was using it.

Not sure what gives - but thanks to all who replied.

Those darn junk Briggs motors..... You run em out of oil and they just don't hold up....Wait, they do hold up if you free em up and put oil back in! Good luck with that, hope it keeps working OK.

Latest posts

Back