Question for cb owners

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

applefarmer

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Do your boilers run a differental in water temperature ie. 150-180, or do you just have a set point the stove tries to maintain? The reason I ask is it seems like the cb stoves I see running in my area typically have just a little smoke coming from them all the time. I don't see the smoke cycles like I do from other brands owb. Not saying one is good or the other is bad just wondering how the damper works, if it is either open or closed, or if it adjusts to maintain a set temperature?

My neighbors 2007 CB 5036 runs with the damper either open or closed. Temp. (in the winter) is set on 195. When it drops to 185 it fires, when it hits 195 it shuts down. As far as I know, there is no setting or adjustment in between.

My 5036 (and all CBs as far as I know) has a 10 degree dead zone. For example the factory set temp is 185F. When the aquastat gets down to 175F, the solenoid opens the damper and the fire (mine is natural draft) comes to life until it hits 185F at which point the solenoid shuts off and the damper falls closed. The "smoke" you see during the off cycle is usually water vapor from the wood. I find this happens with wood not fully seasoned. During the Fall and Spring I set my Set point at 175F. I find this saves a lot of wood in warmer weather.

I keep mine low in the summer (170 set, opens damper at 160) and saves a lot of wood, crank it up to 185 in winter (opens at 175). I wish there was a way to change the set differential from 10 degrees to maybe 15 or even 20, give me a longer burn time and I think I would get less smoke and cleaner burns. Might also use more wood, I dunno.

I keep mine low in the summer (170 set, opens damper at 160) and saves a lot of wood, crank it up to 185 in winter (opens at 175). I wish there was a way to change the set differential from 10 degrees to maybe 15 or even 20, give me a longer burn time and I think I would get less smoke and cleaner burns. Might also use more wood, I dunno.

if it's not locked push and hold the set button for 8 seconds to get into program parms...
i fiddled with mine all the time. you need to change r0, r1 and r2 might need to be changed if the factory has them too high/low. i did 20deg for the summer, quicker to recover with no heat demand. but sometimes snuffed the fire out if there isn't a good bed of coals. i unplugged a vacuum port on the throttle body to let air slowly leak in to compensate.

Last edited:
We have a saying at work, "No friggin' with the riggin". I think you are asking for troubles by messing with the parameters. IMO

The factory default for the temp control is set at 185, but can easily be adjusted up or down as seen fit by the user. Not much there to mess up IMO. Refer to your op manual.

It's very easily adjustable, I keep mine at a bit cooler temp when it's not too awful cold out, but for those colder stretches I crank it up a bit. Just my opinion, I think a lower setpoint saves wood when it's not cycling all that much anyway.

The factory default for the temp control is set at 185, but can easily be adjusted up or down as seen fit by the user. Not much there to mess up IMO. Refer to your op manual.

Adjusting the operating temp from 185 temp easy and recommended for different weather, wood dryness, etc. Adjusting the standard 10 degree
shut on/ shut down differential would for sure be "friggin with the riggin". Personally I wouldn't go there. If it aint broke don't fix it.

Adjusting the operating temp from 185 temp easy and recommended for different weather, wood dryness, etc. Adjusting the standard 10 degree
shut on/ shut down differential would for sure be "friggin with the riggin". Personally I wouldn't go there. If it aint broke don't fix it.

Do believe I misread the post there. I stand corrected, and agree. :)

I wasn't refering to changing the setpoint, I meant changing the 10 degree range on the on/off cycle. I lower my setpoint in warmer weather all the time. Enjoy the heat folks.

Last edited:
Back