Question for Floridians?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Arborbarber

Reaction score
I recently took a trip to the Tampa area,visiting my wifes Uncle.While we were there her cousin asked me to strip and drop a chinaberry tree.After I was done I was told we should have pulled a permit to remove the tree.Is this true?I probably should have checked before cutting but it never crossed my mind.We don't have any laws like that in west Tn.

P.S. The weather was beautiful,sunshine n the low 80's

Chinaberries are 'weed' trees. I'm not aware of any municipality that would require a permit for this type of tree. Although arbor laws are a local matter, every town or city can be different.

Thanks for cutting down one of our weeds. Only 48726 billion left!

Chinaberries - the spawn of satan!

here in Austin you need 19" for a permit.

Chinaberries are a weed here too.

If you didn't grind the stump, it will be back just as tall in a year.

I bet that is not true. Here in Jax 3' dbh is a "protected tree" but if it is in a homeowners yard It is not. That would only apply to commercial, or land being developed. Some of our beach communities have much much stricter rules that do apply to homeowners. Also if there is remodeling work being done where permits are being pulled it then turns that residence into a construction site where almost eveything is protected.
Greg

arborbarber.....great name

question......
who told you that you needed a permit to get rid
of that chinaberry?????? someone from the city or
some know-it-all neighbor????? we've got some
pretty tough tree ordinaces around here. i think
it's great concidering that i focus mainly on pruning
and do not do many removals. (take care of what
you've got!!!!) you have to pull a permit to cut down
any native trees along w/ a list of others.
anyways, welcome to the site!!!
budroe:cool:

Originally posted by Greg
I bet that is not true. Here in Jax 3' dbh is a "protected tree" but if it is in a homeowners yard It is not. That would only apply to commercial, or land being developed. Some of our beach communities have much much stricter rules that do apply to homeowners. Also if there is remodeling work being done where permits are being pulled it then turns that residence into a construction site where almost eveything is protected.
Greg

I appologize for the vague 3ft dbh thing, I meant to say. . .

Were I'm from, I spoke with city and county offices and they both said for residential removal the max size was 3' dbh. Guess I need to do some more research and find the facts on paper. ;)

-Mike-

In my city it doesn't matter what kind of tree it is, you need a permit to remove anything over 5" dbh. Never pulled one though?

budroe
It was a tree man I run into at a gas station that mentioned the permit.I noticed he had New York plates on his equipment that's why I questioned his statement.Is it common for out of state tree services to winter in Florida.Heard of snowbirds but didn't know it applied to treemen.

Snow birds, Low birds, tree birds, biker birds, migrant birds, fruit birds..... after all it was a cool 80 yesterday with a cool crisp night; Hell i almost forget what snow looks like, what it is like to fight it; so maybe i'm not as lucky as JP, Tom etc. cuz i don't think they have forgotten!!!!!!:D

Diffrent locals (especially Hillsborough coutny/ Tampa) have diffrent varying laws, and that is before people sign homeowner's agreements, some of which limit removals to pre-approved only. Tampa (where i don't live) is known for having a law on such permits but i don't know the particulars.

Chinaberry trees are exempt from the permit requirements in Tampa, Hillsborough County and Pasco County. In Tampa (within city limits), there are 18 other trees, mostly non-native, invasive species, that are also exempt. All other trees and woody plants over 5" DBH, whether dead or alive, as well as all cypress trees, require a tree removal permit. The cost is $33.00 for up to 3 trees per property, and $5.75 per tree after that.

Now, if the tree is considered a Grand Tree, which is determined by using a point value formula based on DBH, height, and spread, the cost for a removal permit is $575.00! You also need a $35.00 permit to prune any Grand Tree and you must meet with an inspector before any work is done to show him exactly what you will be cutting.

The rules in Hillsborough County are little less strict. For residential properties, a permit is required for live trees over 12" DBH. There are 15 exempt species. Permits are $20.

thank's for all the info.I'll make sure to check local reg's whenever I do work out of town for relatives.Thonotosassa,think that's right ,is where we were at.Hillsborough county if I remember right. Nice place but full of fireants.

Back