Question for OWB owners

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sw18x

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Bought a house with a 9 year old OWB. Ran one season and turns out it had rusted out at the top and was leaking water to the tune of adding 10 or 15 gallons every other day (largely from neglected maintenance as far as I can tell). Contacted OWB company, they came and got the stove and did a complete rebuild for what I consider to be a reasonable price, water jacket and firebox were completely replaced from the ash box up (opted for a rebuild because town ordinance prevents me from buying new). Got the stove back and it looks great but here's my question: I stuck my head inside the firebox and saw no interior welds at the seams. Clearly it was welded from the outside (the side which is now hidden from view and will be in direct contact with the water), but is this normal? Of course I can call the stove company and ask but if this is normal practice (to weld only one side of the seam) then 1.) I don't want to sound like an idiot, 2.) I don't want to insult them by basically asking did you forget to weld my OWB together before delivery and 3.) if it's not normal would they even admit it now that my check has cleared? As a courtesy I'd like to keep the name of the OWB out of this post because they've done good by me so far, but feel free to PM me if you need more specific info to answer my question. Thanks!

every one i saw was always welded on the inside thats strange...hey you cant get an answer unless ya ask them the question i know i would!!

Back