Question for saw repair/tuner guys, and cut times

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rbtree

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
I again did some cutting comparisons with my saws. Not real exact timing or anything, but was surprised at a couple things.

First i tested 4 335/338's, all with brand new chain. All the saws were tuned to as close to 13,800 peak no load rpm as possible... (the Calis seem to peak at 13000-13400) All seem to have good compression. Obviously, something is up with a couple, as they have slowed up compared to the last time I checked them. I'm assuming I need to check things like carbs and impulse lines, fuel filters and lines, etc.

The results vary so widely that I am rather perplexed.

here they are figure at least 10% deviation due to sloppy test parameters--the log was over 16 inches, so I was burying the bar, and not cutting all the way, so not exactly sure I cut the same distance with each saw...but it is easy to sort of tell how fast each is going:

Husky 335, stock with dual port muffler 15 seconds
335 Cali, stock w/dual port muffler 28 seconds
older 335 Cali " " " 25 seconds
PP 338 w/ Walker's single port 38 seconds
Echo 3400, with opened muffler 33 seconds

When I last compared the saws, the Cali and the fast 335 were closer, and the 338 only lagged by about 20%.....so something must be wrong.

Then I cut some 8 inch pine

Fast 335 5.5 seconds
346 Greffardized 4.5 seconds 16 bar full comp
357 EHP 2.5 seconds 20 bar full comp
PP7900 4 seconds 24 bar semi skip
372 Walkerized 4 seconds 28 bar semi skip, I think..might be full skip

All the bigger saws had used square filed 3/8 pitch chain, unsure if raker settings are correct.....and my sharpening is still sloppy.

What stands out here is the amazing speed from the 335, and this is the one that Rich sent me, (totally disassembled, in need of a couple cheap parts) only asking for $17 for shipping...I gaved him $40.
And of course also impressive is the 357 ehp, which obliterated the times of three larger saws. I know it won't beat any of them in 20 inch wood, with same bar size, but it is one mighty fast saw! I've tested it a couple times, and it is maybe 10-25% slower than the 7900 and 372, in 20-24 inch wood.

Rb; With the small saws and cutting bar buried, did you have the same chain on all. There can be a huge difference in ability to cut with the nose between different chains.

Frank

Latest posts

Back