Question for the collective mind

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
No, not yet. Plan on buying them this winter.

There is no one around here that does any chain work - at least that I can find.

Hal

once you have the proper tools, theres not much to it, mostly just need the correct presets and tiestraps to match the chain you're making changes to.

links

hi if you e mail me i will link a video to you .i found on the web.k

You don't HAVE to have special tools

I have made up a bunch of chains using an air die grinder (file would work), a small punch and a hammer. It is more labor this way but essentially the process involves removing the two rivet heads from the link you are removing and then forming a shop head on the new rivets on the repair link. If you grind off the rivet heads and tap them out, the chain is apart. Then you have to make a head on the new link which can be done with a small ball peen hammer tapping on the rivet and the other end of it on an anvil. There is a fine line between getting it too tight and not tight enough. Trial and error until it feels right compared to the other links. Roll it on the nose of the bar and make sure it makes the turn ok.

A chain breaker and spinner essentially does the same thing, just easier to get get good results.

maybe this will help

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/_qjpAqJ7Afg" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Back