Question for the people who deliver wood.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MishMouse

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I contacted someone in my area to deliver a load of wood to my house and his comment was he is unable to get in my driveway with a 40 foot rig to drop off wood. Now I do have a short driveway. But, since they were able to get a house into the driveway I would assume someone could get a load of wood.

I posted a few pictures of the driveway and the approach.
For me I do not see any reason why someone could not get a 40 foot rig through the entrance. Now he would have to back the load in and use the crane to unload but other then backing up I do not see the problem.

For the experts out there, is this a impossible delivery?
How would you deliver to this location?

attachment.php

On this image if you look to the right of the picture behind those pines I wanted the wood dropped there. I will post a better picture of this view later.

attachment.php

attachment.php

Additional pics of what should have been the drop off area.

attachment.php

attachment.php

Thanks, for any and all replies...

I reckon I would look for another delivery guy.When I hired on years ago to drive an OTR truck,we had to back through a series of cones much narrower than that and a whole lot less room for swing.Sure,maybe he might have to take a few shots at it,a couple of swings,but that doesnt even remotely look challenging.I have backed into far tighter places than that to drop a lumber delivery in the dark.

I havent driven for a few years now,but there isnt any doubt in my mind that as rusty as I may be,I could park that wood right where you want it.

A third grader could put a truck in there. it doesnt get much wider than that for a driveway. The drivers thinking of another house or looking for a excuse. Try someone else. Good luck.

Congratulations! You found the biggest crybaby logger in the midwest!

I have seen drivers back trixels up 1/2 mile into the woods and never pull forward so much as once to reconfigure where they were going. In our yard back home my brother piles his wood such that he has a snaking path exactly 16' wide from the road back to the end of the row of logs and that is about 500-600'. His delivery guys back their rigs in there like it is nothing.

Time to find a new logger/driver.

WHATS ALL THAT WHITE STUFF IN THE PICS??? LOL
i would think anyone that has driven a triaxle more than fifteen minutes could drive or back in there without an issue.
call him back and ask if he could come take a look in a smaller truck..lol

Piece of cake dude. I've had much closer calls than that and never hesitated. My wife could back a 40 footer in there with one eye tied behind her back. Your guy is a wimp.

i could put a triax in there without thinkin. if you move the taurus and spot me i might even put a trailer with a center mount loader in there and give you 12 cd at a time.

guy needs to learn how to drive. try it when youve got a road thats 8ft6in wide, a bucket truck thats 8ft wide, a chipper thats 6ft wide, and the bushes are grown in to about 5ft wide. both mirrors showed nothing but bushes. dont know how i made it.....

I totally agree with all the above, call another supplier. There is no issue with delivering at your place, other than am incompetent driver.

You could land a 777 in that space, someone is lazy! Keep calling people or send those pics when to the idiots boss.

Life must be too good for that driver to refuse.

With the 4wheeler and the mercury moved any truck could back in there.

What is the charge for a load there?

That reminds me of a certain schoolbus driver. Middle of winter, snow berms, etc. Knocked my mailbox off (end of route and backed in to turn around). Put box back up. Knocked down again. Called supervisor and suggested he check her out. He asked "how wide is your drive and is it cleared?" Answer "Three cars wide and totally clear" Never heard what happened.

Harry K

I contacted someone in my area to deliver a load of wood to my house and his comment was he is unable to get in my driveway with a 40 foot rig to drop off wood. Now I do have a short driveway. But, since they were able to get a house into the driveway I would assume someone could get a load of wood.

I posted a few pictures of the driveway and the approach.
For me I do not see any reason why someone could not get a 40 foot rig through the entrance. Now he would have to back the load in and use the crane to unload but other then backing up I do not see the problem.

For the experts out there, is this a impossible delivery?
How would you deliver to this location?

attachment.php

On this image if you look to the right of the picture behind those pines I wanted the wood dropped there. I will post a better picture of this view later.

attachment.php

attachment.php
you would have to ask that question to a trucker and see .hard to tell from the pic because of how much space is actually needed what they have only one truck?

Back