Question for the people who deliver wood.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Is this just the price for the delivery? How much is he charging for the wood also.

It is $75 a cord delivered in 8' lengths, 10 cords min.
Basically cut right from the woods and dropped off.
Since it is fresh cut it takes around 2-3 years of seasoning.

I switched trash companies a while back, WM said they were going to bigger trucks for dumpster service and could not get in and out of my yard with them. I politely said OK and cancelled the service, and called the small local company.

Trouble is, I used to drive OTR, I've had a 53' box van in and out many times, as well as 16'wide 4wd tractors, etc.

My gut feeling is that they don't want your money very bad. I'd try to find someone that does.

I work in a flagstone quarry. You wouldnt believe where some of those drivers put trucks. They put their trailers in tiny little holes on steep hills to load up. The song give me 40 acres to turn this truck around wouldnt fit for the area in you pics. That driver may need 60, 70, or 80 maybe more.

The persons concern was that the driver would not be able to get the truck in my driveway. In a very sarcastic tone the owner told me that his truck is much wider then a car. Strange his truck must be wider then 2 cars because in the Spring melt we park my RAV4 and the Merk side by side with room to get in and out. In short the guys driver is lazy and incompetent. They are the types that give the honest wood sellers a bad rep.
Now since road restrictions have started as of Monday, I won't even be able to get a load delivered until they are off. Really has my :censored:.

It is funny, some people will look for an excuse not to do bussiness.
Some people are the other way, like my barber, he tells me "I have not found a head yet that I couldn't cut 20 bucks worth off, yet"..............I think he see's me coming cause I got about 3 bucks worth:)

There are no low hanging wires we're not seeing in the pictures, is there? They can cause problems for some log trucks.

That was my first thought...and if not then my second thought was direct quote from the movie Snatch..."Too tight Tyrone? You could land a jumbo f'ing jet in that."

There are wires to west attached to the highline pole, but unless the driver parks underneath them with the arm fully extended upward he shouldn't have an issue and since he would be dropping the wood on the east side of the house the wires shouldn't be anywhere near an issue.

Sure does sound like the driver is a crybaby that just does not want the business. Probably one of the same jerks sitting down at the coffee shop in the morning beyotching that the economy stinks.

Reminds me of the farmer back in the hometown of my wife in NY. He was a dairy farmer and was not making squatt. Someone finally said to him #### or find another business. He drove down to Fulton, NY and visited the Birdseye frozen vegetable plant and said "what can I grow for you that you do not already have?" They said they wanted early and late season broccoli because they were packaging beans and some sweetcorn there and if they got early broccoli and late broccoli they could open the plant earlier and keep it open later.

So he sold the cows, took out a bank loan for >$1M and planted broccoli. First year he paid off the loan and was free and clear all of his equipment. Second year he banked something like $5M. He sold the business and retired.

Instead of complaining about the bad conditions, he changed rather than expecting the business to change.

that driveway looks pretty big, at least in the pictures. lock the dolly pin and you could back in a 11 axle michigan log truck.

Update:

Today I got someone to deliver 7-8 cords of tree length oak.
The guy who delivered was older then the guy who refused to deliver. The guy who came was able to drive his rig into my driveway without issue and was able to drop the wood right where I wanted it. He had no problems at all getting into my driveway and dropping the wood right where I wanted it.

Comes to show you the difference between the people who who deliver wood. Some people want the business and hire experienced drivers who know how to do their job and take pride in doing the job well, others are more lazy and hire individuals who share their work ethic.

Update:

Today I got someone to deliver 7-8 cords of tree length oak.
The guy who delivered was older then the guy who refused to deliver. The guy who came was able to drive his rig into my driveway without issue and was able to drop the wood right where I wanted it. He had no problems at all getting into my driveway and dropping the wood right where I wanted it.

Comes to show you the difference between the people who who deliver wood. Some people want the business and hire experienced drivers who know how to do their job and take pride in doing the job well, others are more lazy and hire individuals who share their work ethic.

Sometimes and I repeat, sometimes people get an independant streak when their business gets big enough and they lose sight of who got them big in the first place. Glad you were able to get this straightened out.

The pics in your original post don't show up any more, but if I recall correctly there was snow on the ground then..? It was plowed out pretty good and looked doable, but there are drives that I would back into during the summer that I would pass on come winter. It's just not worth spending a day stuck to make a delivery and the customer sure isn't going to pay for a tow bill. Glad to hear you got a load of wood, get to cutting... :cheers:

PS...If I am wrong about the snow, please excuse me. My memory isn't always the best...:)

Back