Question for the Stihl 070 experts...

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rudolf73

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
With all the 070 Stihl copies going around is there any sure way of telling if the saw is genuine or not by looking at it? For instance the chinese cope may have subtle design differences like like name plates etc. The reason I am asking is that there is a new 070 avertised on ebay (Australia) and the seller is insisting that it is genuine because it says "made in Germany" on it. This may be so, but I have dealt with one of the companies who make these 070's in china and the husky copy I got off them also said "made in Sweden" which shows that it doesn't mean anything.

Here is the link anyways... Stihl 070 105cc chainsaw

The seller goes on to list the serial number, but in my case the fake husky also had a "husy" serial number on it.

Rudolf I would be weary of this saw only because he states there is no such thing a "cheap chinease knock-offs" and believe me there are. That is a lot of money to be gambling with.

Rudolf I would be weary of this saw only because he states there is no such thing a "cheap chinease knock-offs" and believe me there are. That is a lot of money to be gambling with.

That is exactly right and I have first hand experience with cheap chinease knock-offs. Another seller also has a ms381 copy listed and that is on $600+ now... crazy.

Notice how he mentioned that stihl opened a plant there in 2008?? Do you really think they still made that saw in 2008??? He is trying to hide something!!:mad:

i wish i had the cash to buy one and pull it apart and set it next to the real thing..

$400 they are direct from china including shipping... I guess you are paying for all the metal in it.

thank you. Also the chain pitch is 3/8 .050, the 070 only came with 404 or 1/2 .

I didn't even notice that and you are right. The interesting thing with these chinese saws is that they actually come with genuine (as far as I can tell by using them) stihl chains even the fake husky's.

All the visuals check out ,it looks genuine.The orange color does look rather light but that can just be the lighting, camera or fading from storage.
Pioneerguy600

Last edited:
Back