Question for the Stihl 070 experts...

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
After adjusting the carburetor on the hot muffler of a special chalk painted white point, which has seen 22 photo. Ebay saw there is a sticker.

There were some images floating around a few years ago of a shipping container full of Communist Chinese chainsaws. They all looked 070ish. I can't remember the details and I can't find the images. Does anyone remember this?

The starter cover is also different but you really have to look to see the differences like the markings on my genuine saw's muffler as Vaironds points out I had spotted the lack of the Stihl marking but not the factory white spot.

Some pics of a genuine 070 I bought it about 2 yrs ago and it was made 1994.

Thanks for the pics Dave, after looking at them very closely I noticed that your real stihl has "Made in Germany" on the starter cover name plate and the ebay saw just has "Stihl". As you said the muffler is also lacking stihl markings...

I contacted the seller to find out which carb is on it but have not received a reply yet.

In my opinion its them damn Chinese trying to fool us Yankee's
I would buy an old junker for 50 bucks, replace the jug and the rings, give it new paint, new bar and chain etc etc. And completely rebuild and you'll have the same amount of money in the junker you fix up then buying that. Its just what i would do!

Just Bought one on Ebay

Some pics of a genuine 070 I bought it about 2 yrs ago and it was made 1994.

Dave, I just bought one from a guy who has 32000 feedbacks. He may not really know if it is a fake. I am waiting for him to reply to my questions about it. I will have to compare it to your pics. It has a 404 gauge bar 3/8 pitch. It has the same bar as the one on Stihl's Mexico website and the same length. The problem with the one on Stihl's website is that you can only see if from the clutch side.

Dave, I just bought one from a guy who has 32000 feedbacks. He may not really know if it is a fake. I am waiting for him to reply to my questions about it. I will have to compare it to your pics. It has a 404 gauge bar 3/8 pitch. It has the same bar as the one on Stihl's Mexico website and the same length. The problem with the one on Stihl's website is that you can only see if from the clutch side.

Here are some differences I noticed... after looking at them very closely I noticed that a real stihl has "Made in Germany" on the starter cover name plate and the ebay saw just has "Stihl". The mufflers on fake saws also lack stihl markings...

There is another very small to notice but an important "tell" the factory tie the starter cord in a very with a particular knot which always leaves it standing out of the handle, it is even shown in the owners manual and the Brazilian saws I have also have the same knot. If it's not clear in the pics I posted I will take a couple more.
Sounds sillly but with the fakes looking so real! every little bit helps.

The MS172 or MS070 is sold here in The Philippines through STIHL distributor. The retail price is P67,500. This is approx $1,500 including VAT and other import duty.
There are also Chinese copies at about P30,000 available in several stores.

The MS070 is the only saw really used here. It's main use is to cut Coconut trees into lumber in the field. The 'operator' cuts them into various sizes (usually 4x4, 2,4, 2x3 and 2,2). These guys are extraordinary in how they can cut 500 board feet a day into lumber.

The Chinese copies are not up to this task.

STIHL International and STIHL Philippines (Deutsche Motorgeräte) together have just donated a MS172 or MS070 to my 'Star Apple Leyte Fund' here in Leyte. I will be receiving it in the coming week or two when new stocks arrive and if you guys like, I can take close-up photos of it, or any other information that may be of help to you. This will be a new model direct from the STIHL factory.

The MS172 or MS070 is sold here in The Philippines through STIHL distributor. The retail price is P67,500. This is approx $1,500 including VAT and other import duty.
There are also Chinese copies at about P30,000 available in several stores.

The MS070 is the only saw really used here. It's main use is to cut Coconut trees into lumber in the field. The 'operator' cuts them into various sizes (usually 4x4, 2,4, 2x3 and 2,2). These guys are extraordinary in how they can cut 500 board feet a day into lumber.

The Chinese copies are not up to this task.

STIHL International and STIHL Philippines (Deutsche Motorgeräte) together have just donated a MS172 or MS070 to my 'Star Apple Leyte Fund' here in Leyte. I will be receiving it in the coming week or two when new stocks arrive and if you guys like, I can take close-up photos of it, or any other information that may be of help to you. This will be a new model direct from the STIHL factory.

Would sure like to see pics of that baby.

Ha ha gee I'd laugh if it was genuine ................................................ I suppose for the $500-00 buck price tag you guys would never be happy ..................... get a life

Howdy, I have an old 070 and its a runner! need a bar, local Stihl dealer is worthless. Can a 3003 000 8838, will this bar fit on that Stihl 070?

Back