Question for the Stihl Techs that have been to Va. Beach

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Now

A dealer is required to start and tune any saw before it leaves the dealers hands or did something change there?

Now it is splitting hairs......the part is run but not used.

Last edited:
A dealer is required to start and tune any saw before it leaves the dealers hands or did something change there?

Now it is splitting hairs......the part is run but not used.

Well, I make sure they are not gassed and oiled and started.

Most of the dealers around here would mess that up anyway.

My dealer said when he was down there they and would NOT show anyone the bar manufacturing area. Supposed to be top secret.:chainsaw:.............454

I've been all through that bar making plant. Just gotta know the right people to get in there. That building is something else. They, beleive it or not, had to go back and raise the ceiling in the building after it was completed. Seems the contractor or someone mis-read the size of one piece of equipment. It would not fit in the building. So the roof had to be raised to get it in there...

I was curious as to how they started them at the factory. I had a big guy with ten ft. diameter arms standing there waiting for the next rope to pull pictured. Then you ruined it and said they use a machine.

I was curious as to how they started them at the factory. I had a big guy with ten ft. diameter arms standing there waiting for the next rope to pull pictured. Then you ruined it and said they use a machine.

No, it actually is a big blonde nazi, his right arm's girth is bigger than my
leg, his left arm is normal size. Looks like a big crawdad.....

Also when the unit leaves the test cell, there is someone there with a paint pen and leaves a mark on the muffler to show its been in the test cell.

OK, nobody has taken me up on my offer yet: hire me as a tech so that I can go to Virginia Beach and learn

So I am curious, what does it cost to send a tech for training?

Aside from travel and salary, does Stihl charge? How long do the sessions last? Do they have any prerequisites for attendees? Do you learn secret handshakes?

Thanks.

Philbert

OK, nobody has taken me up on my offer yet: hire me as a tech so that I can go to Virginia Beach and learn

So I am curious, what does it cost to send a tech for training?

Aside from travel and salary, does Stihl charge? How long do the sessions last? Do they have any prerequisites for attendees? Do you learn secret handshakes?

Thanks.

Philbert

Secret hand shake is only taught to the pink level techs. You know the ones that are only qualified to work on the limp wristed easy start series of saws.

Last edited:
Also when the unit leaves the test cell, there is someone there with a paint pen and leaves a mark on the muffler to show its been in the test cell.

I've been curious about that mark. Does it serve any purpose or just to show it's been tested? I got the idea somewhere it had something to do with warranty, like it would burn off if the saw was leaned out and overheated or something.

Do they dyno the power heads in the test cell?

I've been curious about that mark. Does it serve any purpose or just to show it's been tested? I got the idea somewhere it had something to do with warranty, like it would burn off if the saw was leaned out and overheated or something.

Do they dyno the power heads in the test cell?

The mark just means it has been tested.

I dont remember a dyno or not.

I haven't read all the thread yet, but how clean and organized does the Stihl factory look? Describe how it looks. How many units does the factory put out per year? Do you know how much the average line worker makes per hour?

Thanks!

That case is melted together by a shaker or vibrating process.

I believe you are describing ultrasonic welding...?

One part is fixed in a jig, the other is vibrated ultrasonically (think:really, really fast). As the parts are fitted together the material at the interface melts together from friction. It solidifies almost instantly when the vibration stops -- perfect for assembly lines.
No waiting for adhesive to dry.

I used to manufacture threaded brass inserts that would be embedded into plastic ultrasonically.

Back