Question from a Prospective Forester

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That's great advice. Very practical and very true. The loggers remember the good Foresters and they really remember the bad ones.

The part about the flagging getting caught in the door...or on brush, or a gate, or a piece of equipment...is priceless. It happens. And it's a pain to roll back up. We watched a Forester with a leaky thermos walk off into the brush one morning and debated telling her about it. She wasn't one of the good ones so we figured that 'long about coffee time she'd figure it out herself.

Thanks fellers.

And Git; ya just don't roll that **** up. Wad that ribbon up and stuff er in yer vest. It happens to everyone but heaven forbid one of the loggers sees it lol

Thanks fellers.

And Git; ya just don't roll that **** up. Wad that ribbon up and stuff er in yer vest. It happens to everyone but heaven forbid one of the loggers sees it lol

Nope, got to disagree. You can roll that stuff back up. Use a stick. It's just not round and neat anymore. Sorta banana shaped and sloppy. We had a case of it fall out of a pickup and three rolls totally unspooled. Rewinding it gave the chaser something to do between turns.
Hey, that stuff costs money, can't let it just go to waste. :laugh:

Hey, that stuff costs money, can't let it just go to waste. :laugh:

Yeah it can but I had stuff to do... I was originally gonna say something about needing that 5 or 10 foot chunk mid afternoon so you'd have to get your draggin butt over to the hole it got stuffed in because going up to the truck and back down before quitting time was not an option lol

So the more educated reply without the left coast hillbilly bits lol. Lots of times I've had ribbon pull out 3 foot or so while its in my vest. You can roll it up. Had a few take off down the hill for various reasons. I wound up just stuffing it in the ribbon pocket and went with it lol.

Yeah it can but I had stuff to do... I was originally gonna say something about needing that 5 or 10 foot chunk mid afternoon so you'd have to get your draggin butt over to the hole it got stuffed in because going up to the truck and back down before quitting time was not an option lol

So the more educated reply without the left coast hillbilly bits lol. Lots of times I've had ribbon pull out 3 foot or so while its in my vest. You can roll it up. Had a few take off down the hill for various reasons. I wound up just stuffing it in the ribbon pocket and went with it lol.

LOL....I didn't say that I would go through all the time and effort to roll it back up. Left up to me it would probably be in a big wad at the bottom of the burn pile.
I was busy reading the latest mill changes, explaining to one of the choker setters that he couldn't have two draws in one week, reminding the fuel truck driver, for the third time, that when he walked past the Outgoing Freight table in the shop and there were packages for our job that he was supposed to bring them with him, explaining to the new blade operator that he couldn't take lunch when there was still a berm filled with boulders down the middle of the haul road, calming down the truck drivers who wanted bigger turn arounds, advising the water truck driver that it might be good to look in his mirrors occasionally after he drove three miles on an empty water tank, keeping the trucks loaded, the decks sorted,and trying to make sense of two boundary maps that didn't agree with each other but that our company Forester swore up and down were dead on accurate even if they were twenty years old.
We had three Cats on long drags and the landing man needed something to do to keep from being bored. I figured he get into less trouble rewinding ribbon than anything else he might find to do in his spare time.
That's my story and I'm sticking to it.

how do you drive 3 miles and not notice there isn't a giant spray water coming out your rear?

Well, as near as I can figure, having a room temperature IQ, being demoted from log truck driver because of poor job performance, wearing earbuds 'cause tunes are nicer than engine noise, driving two gears slower than your last trip down the same road, not filling the water tank all the way, using front and back sprayers when there wasn't a need for it, and having the situational of a awareness of a large piece of cheese were part of the problem.
He was a good worker on the days he showed up. Sometimes he'd show up three or four days in a row. Okay, sometimes he was late...but he always went home right on time. He was energetic too, probably because of the long naps he'd take while the water tank was filling. We felt a lot better knowing the inside of the tank was clean because he'd pump water through it for an hour when it only took twenty minutes to fill. Leaving the big drain in the bottom of the tank partially open while he was filling allowed for good flushing.
It's true, he had a slight drug problem, some alcohol abuse issues, some unusual personality disorders, poor personal hygiene...as in you wouldn't want to stand down wind from him on a hot day...and more tattoos than teeth but those traits aren't uncommon where we worked. The fact that he was a cousin of the owner's wife made up for all that.
And no, I didn't fire him. Didn't have to. On a payday Saturday night he ran over a cop's foot at a sobriety check-point and then decided he wanted to fight. He called me at home to bail him out. I declined. I told him he'd probably get ninety days, detox, and regular showers, all of which he needed.

Latest posts

Back