Question from new Husqvarna 346xp owner

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
In wood up to 10" in diameter or so, it absolutely runs circles around the 260. Anything bigger, and the 260 would out cut it. Not saying that the 260 would run circles around it, but it would at least pull itself through without me having to support any of its weight.

That still means something is wrong with that 346xp - it could be as simple as the carb adjustment....

My 346 wouldn't outperform my 026 either until it had 12 tanks of fuel through it and at 15 tanks it was a much different saw then out of the box. If your heavy handed the 026 is gonna perform better for you. Husky's require a lighter touch to get them to come alive. Same thing with a 372 and 044. If your ham fisted get the Stihl, if you can let the saw do the work then a Husky is probably a bit faster and smoother.

I Have a BSnelling Prepared 346XP, Of my 7 chainsaws it's the one I grab the most :) He knows how to make it Perfect, I'd listen to him :)

I Have a BSnelling Prepared 346XP, Of my 7 chainsaws it's the one I grab the most :) He knows how to make it Perfect, I'd listen to him :)

No, no. Please don't misunderstand me. I know he knows his stuff. I just wanted to wait until warranty expired to do any mods because I am all too familiar with Murphy's Law.

I am curious about the muffler mods though in combination with a limited coil. I thought when a saw was tuned properly after a muffler mod that the engine speed would automatically be higher. With the coil limiting the engine speed, how does that work?

You need to mod the muffler, trim the limiter tabs, and retune before you can give it a fair evaluation.

No, no. Please don't misunderstand me. I know he knows his stuff. I just wanted to wait until warranty expired to do any mods because I am all too familiar with Murphy's Law.

I am curious about the muffler mods though in combination with a limited coil. I thought when a saw was tuned properly after a muffler mod that the engine speed would automatically be higher. With the coil limiting the engine speed, how does that work?

The blue coils have a timing advance you'll just tune it fat in the cut and lean it out until it clears up.

Now to the real question. Any results yet?:msp_thumbup:

More power (from mods) does not necessarily mean gobs more no-load RPM, It SHOULD result in more RPM, and therefore chain speed In The Cut, however.

Ok, update time, and boy am I embarrassed! These Huskies sound quite a bit different that equivalent Stihls, so I am going to have to retune my ear as much as the saw.

Threw a tach on it, fired it up. While idling for warmup, it was showing 2700 rpm. So far, so good. After it was warmed up, I gave her a very short full throttle run. 10800 rpm. I thought to myself, "that can't be right." So I did it two more times, and both times got 10800 rpm. So I grabbed my screwdriver and turned it in bit by bit, and checking the rpm each time. Finally hit the limiter tab on the lean side, and all I could get was 12800 rpm.

I dragged a couple chunks of 12" wood home to do test cuts. I sunk the saw into one, and I must say, it was running much, much better. I was actually able to lean on the saw a bit without it bogging.

I think I will leave it as is for another 5 tanks or so. If there are no problems, I will trim the limiter tabs, and, if I feel the desire at that time, open up the muffler. I will also keep the tach in my toolbox until I can get my ear retuned.

The thing I don't understand is why the dealer let the darn thing out of their shop running that rich. I am kind of impressed the thing was running as well as it was. My 260 would have barely run that rich.

Thanks again for everybody's help, in spite of me making much to do about nothing.

More power does not necessarily mean gobs more no-load RPM, It SHOULD result in more RPM, and therefore chain speed In The Cut, however.

I agree :msp_thumbup: A good muffler mod should bring you another 500-700 healthy rpms

I grant dispensations to each and every modded 346. Go forth, muffler mod, port and saw happily ever after.

this is mine after a dozen tanks,, its been masterminded

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/41A6Ax1U1YI" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Latest posts

Back