question on a project saw

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

farrell

Weekend Warrior
Reaction score
my uncle gave me a solo 634 yesterday to monkey around with. he bought it at a yard sale years ago for five bucks. last night i tore it down and cleaned it up. it looks almost new!!! all looks good but im not getting any spark and yes i tried another plug. so its either the ignition coil or switch. i looked around on the net but cant find any parts. does anyone here know what other coils might fit it? thanks for any help!

Before you spend a ton of time trying to find a coil, wouldn't you be better off seeing if the switch is bad or wire is grounded out? Once you have ascertained that isn't the issue, then start the search. Shorted wires are very common on an older saw.

I have one of those too and parts are hard to come by. I was lucky and found a parts saw on ebay. Good luck.

thanks guys! i did forget to mention that the ignition is rubbing on the flywheel which i know isnt right on my husky's (.010 clearance). i tried to adjust it but it has no adjustment with the bolts. im gonna look at it a little more carefully tomarrow and see if the contacts adjust. ideas?

thanks guys! i did forget to mention that the ignition is rubbing on the flywheel which i know isnt right on my husky's (.010 clearance). i tried to adjust it but it has no adjustment with the bolts. im gonna look at it a little more carefully tomarrow and see if the contacts adjust. ideas?

That could be your problem. It probably has an adjustment somewhere, probably where it bolts on the holes are elongated.

i loosened the bolts but no adjustment gonna figure it out tomarrow. thanks

i managed to get the clearance i think i needed. someone has had it apart in the past. used feeler gauge set out to .010-.015 but im still not seeing spark. will i have to reassemble and use the pull start to turn flywheel fast enough to create spark?

i managed to get the clearance i think i needed. someone has had it apart in the past. used feeler gauge set out to .010-.015 but im still not seeing spark. will i have to reassemble and use the pull start to turn flywheel fast enough to create spark?

Unless you have a variable speed drill motor big enough and can adapt it to turn the flywheel, yes. Leave the plug out.

I GOT SPARK!!!:clap: tried startin it no go. put a lil gas in the carb and fired then died. tried this several times. still no go. carb need rebuilt? low compression ( sounds good)?

picked up a jonsered 2036 today. seems to be having the same problem as the solo 634 both saws fire but will not run. the solo pops and dies. the jonsered will fire but starves and dies. ideas? please. both saws have sat along time and both have fresh gas. fishin for answers!

You've got a bite! When a saw runs for awhile with gas in carburetor, assuming it has fuel in the tank, and will not keep running, most of the time it's carburetor, gas line, related. If it were mine I'd go ahead and put new fuel lines on it and clean the carburetor and put a new kit in it. If it's been sitting more than 2 or 3 years especially. You can easily feel if it has compression by pulling on the starter rope. If it starts with fuel in the carb it probably has enough compression to run anyway.

i put gas in both carbs and tanks. gas running freely to carbs atleast when you pull the line off. lines look and feel good. i was leaning toward carbs. i may have issues finding parts for the bing carb in the solo. the jonsered i think will be easy but no fun to take apart. thanks

i put gas in both carbs and tanks. gas running freely to carbs atleast when you pull the line off. lines look and feel good. i was leaning toward carbs. i may have issues finding parts for the bing carb in the solo. the jonsered i think will be easy but no fun to take apart. thanks

Yeah, I think the Bing is a European thing. I wouldn't have a clue where to find parts for it. I don't know if they finally let China make them or not..you might be in for a search unless some of our European brethren might know.

thanks for the help guys! i got jred 2036 fixed and back to my uncle. he fired it up and looked like a little kid on christmas morning! i hadnt got to the local solo dealer for a carb kit yet for 634. i pulled the carb out and removed the covers looks real clean but alittle bit of grit in it. carefully cleaned and inspected the diaphrams. i apologize for my terminology on this havent worked on carbs before. i believe its the metering diaphram looked a little warped or streched. i put it back together didnt want to forget how it went together. i reassembled the saw and atleast it fired without puttin gas in it but still wont run. are the factory settings for carbs all pretty much the same? i messed around a lot with the L/T sometimes it was so close but no joy. gonna go get kit for it this week. other ideas?

Latest posts

Back