Question on spur pads.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The aluminum pads work very well. I climbed on them for a couple of years. I weigh 220#'s. With a pair of 16" boots and the aluminum pads you wont even hurt your legs or feet at all. They are not very expensive either. I think they are like $85 or something. I would buy them before I spent all that money on a more expensive alternative. They work GREAT!!

Last edited:
I recently bought a set of caddy pads for my aluminum Kleins. Dismantled 4 tremendous white pines with them in a couple of days. They were quite a bit more comfortable in the tre than the L-pads I've worn for 20+ yrs. but I had a good bit of knee pain afterwards which I've never really had before. Havent noticed it much on smaller jobs since then but it was bad enough that I considered going back to the old pads for a bit. Maybe I'm just getting old (49).

Does anyone have the Euro gaffs? I'm using a buddies and have been having to sharpen them way too often. I do not walk around in them either.

I have a set of euro gaffs for Gecko. Not currently using them, but I am not convinced that I won't want them someday. I can't give you an evaluation, except that they are 1/2 inch closer/shorter to the shank than the standard "american" gecko gaffs.

I am 240 and I use the buck TI with super pads without inserts. I find them to be pretty comfy but I need better boots have been climbing in redwings and they have little support.:cheers:

I've been using caddys for a few months now and for me the search is over. I did have to shorten the shanks a few holes to get the pressure away from the bottom of my knees, but the pads twisting around my calves is a thing of the past.

Maybe I'll try that. Always liked to keep my shanks as long as possible to spread out the pressure, maybe thats not necessary with these pads. Took down a big dead Virginia pine today and my knees didnt bother me a bit. The heat now was another story.

climbing spike pain

When I first started using spikes they were painfull as hell. As time went on I tweeked the straps, make sure to wrap around shank, tightness, location etc.
The right boots are key as well. Good luck!

Latest posts

Back