Question

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mikewhite85

Addicted to ArboristSite
AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
When there is a cavity in a tree which is often filled with water I have heard that some will drill a small hole through the trunk to drain the water. Is this an acceptable practice or is there a better alternative? Thanks

When there is a cavity in a tree which is often filled with water I have heard that some will drill a small hole through the trunk to drain the water. Is this an acceptable practice or is there a better alternative? Thanks

When water has found its way into a cvity yes,a good way to get it out of there is to drain it out. Depends on how deep the cavity is, whether or not an arm will reach in and absorb it or scoop it out. Mostly the little bit of water left in there will eventually be absorbed into the wood and trust me, just fill the cavity so the water has no entrance and forget about it. The most important thing is to seal the entrance so the water flows out onto bark.We use a suitable filler, like river rock and cement, some say the expanding insulation, I never liked working with the stuff personally, whatever is suitable. The top of the cvity where water rushes in now must be sealed tight, troughing the cement to create a valley for the water a very good idea as well.

When water has found its way into a cvity yes,a good way to get it out of there is to drain it out. Depends on how deep the cavity is, whether or not an arm will reach in and absorb it or scoop it out. Mostly the little bit of water left in there will eventually be absorbed into the wood and trust me, just fill the cavity so the water has no entrance and forget about it. The most important thing is to seal the entrance so the water flows out onto bark.We use a suitable filler, like river rock and cement, some say the expanding insulation, I never liked working with the stuff personally, whatever is suitable. The top of the cvity where water rushes in now must be sealed tight, troughing the cement to create a valley for the water a very good idea as well.

Are you for real? Do you even do trees?
Jeff

Dude, you need to study up on modern arborculture... Filling the cavity is the worst thing you can do.

who is this person? reminds me of the this hack that was going around grinding the root flares off trees so the HOs could mow around the tree.
I actually witnessed this:jawdrop:

:msp_lol::laugh::hmm3grin2orange: Oh man, that was a good one!

Is the river rock concrete mix a surprise for the tree removal guys later down the road or what geeeeeeeeeeeezzzzzzz are you kidding me???:buttkick:

A few months back I bid on some hollow mulberries that had been packed with concrete. Needless to say I bid high and did not get the job. Wonder if it turned out ok for the poor guy who got it. Hopefully he noticed the concrete!

So back to the original question: can standing water cause rot in the tree? Is it acceptable to drill a small hole for drainage or what should one do?

There is a beautiful 3 trunked sycamore in a client's property. There is no rot but merely a 8" concave crevice where the 3 trunks come together and water pools. Absolutely gorgeous tree. Trying to figure out how to approach it (if there is even need for concern).

So back to the original question: can standing water cause rot in the tree? Is it acceptable to drill a small hole for drainage or what should one do?

No, drilling a hole is NOT ok! Get a copy of A New Treebiology of Shigo, and read it! Answers are all there. (Sorry, I'm not in the mood or have the time of explaining why :))

Hey Mike,
Drilling a drain hole to drain the water and filling it, are old school practices that did more damage to the tree then the original problem.
Decay needs air to form.(sort of) So a side from the damage the hole will make on the already walled off wound(the Cavity),after the water is removed the rot has the air it needs to do its thing.
The waters not the thing to worry about, but the cavity its self should be evaluated to see if its a hazard and has weakened the integrity of the tree. If not its problably best to just let it be. Thats my humble opinion, others may feel different.
I think that first guy just wanted to yank everyone's chain. Beastmaster

I'm retired, was licensed, and worked in the 60's through the 80's. Whoever said to fill the tree can not be licensed or certified in any way shape or form. Concrete work is something my grandfather did in the 20's and 30's. By the time my Dad got into tree work in the 40's it was old technology. Just pour a glass of water on your garage floor, concrete is very pourus, and will suck up water like a sponge. It also does not seal, so it lets lots of air in, you wind up with a damp, dark, aerated space that creates rot and makes a home to all kinds of little worms and such.

In the 60's and 70's we still used drain pipes, but that too is old technology. As others have mentioned an excellent sorce of information is Dr Shigo. Google Dr Alex Shigo and plenty of info will come up, Joe.

In the 60's and 70's we still used drain pipes, but that too is old technology. As others have mentioned an excellent sorce of information is Dr Shigo. Google Dr Alex Shigo and plenty of info will come up, Joe.[/QUOTE]

DR. ALEX SHIGO
My Idol!!!

Back