Questionable measuring of delivered cords.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Illinibrew

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I recently purchased 2 cords of wood. It was dumped in my driveway. My first time buying firewood so didn't know what to expect 2 cords to look like. I stacked it up. Started feeling like it wasn't much more than 1 cord.

I took some measurements and the pile ended up 2'x4'x18' (144 cu ft). Sent an email with some pictures to the landscaper. He's been non-defensive about it all. He explained because I stacked the wood tight, one on top of another, that it does stack up as less. He said that it should be stacked basket weave style, alternating direction each row.

What do you all think? Did I get taken or should I re-stack my wood alternating directions like this guy suggested? Thanks.

No matter how you stack it you got ripped off !!!!!!! 256 cu ft is no where near the 144 cu ft that you got.If you fit each piece perfectly I could understand a little less than 2 cord as compared to just pick each piece and throw it on the row.

That ain't right

A "cord" of wood, is 128 cubic feet tightly stacked. Do a search here...

144 cubic feet the way you stacked it is barely over 1 cord!!! :jawdrop:

You got ➷

I have a dumptruck that I stack reasonably tight, 9 X 7 X 3.5 and I sell it as
1 1/2 cords. It actually measures out to 220 cu ft. I just punched the numbers in, I am almost 15% over!!!! No wonder I never get a call back!! 28 extra cubic feet!!!

I take the same truck and loose toss in wood until it is almost level and sell it as a cord. About 180 cu ft. Probably over on that one as well.

-Pat

The law here is a cord is measured with the wood "ranked and well stowed", with the definition thus:
Ranked and Well-Stowed. Wood placed in a row or rows,
with individual pieces touching and parallel to each other
and stacked in a compact manner minimizing spaces
between pieces.

That's exactly what you did, you were shorted.
Dok

Keep all e-mails sent and received from this jerk. If he doesn't make it right you can turn it over to the authorities. He made his first mistake when he told you it should be staked basket weave. He SCREWED you. Hope you can get even.

No matter how you stack it you got ripped off !!!!!!! 256 cu ft is no where near the 144 cu ft that you got.If you fit each piece perfectly I could understand a little less than 2 cord as compared to just pick each piece and throw it on the row.

+1, hope you get either some money back or more wood delivered. I would be persistent on this guy, cause I'm sure your not the only one he's done it to. And its not like he shorted you just a small amount either, he is waaaay off.

keep us posted on what happens

Rusty

Instead of wasting your time, I would go straight to the dept. of weights & measures or whatever they're called. You've already called him and given him the chance to straighten things out, and he hasn't. He has essentially committed a crime, at your expense, and is hoping that you are naive enough to let him get away with it. Whether you turn him in or let him get away with it is your decision.

I recently purchased 2 cords of wood. It was dumped in my driveway. My first time buying firewood so didn't know what to expect 2 cords to look like. I stacked it up. I took some measurements and the pile ended up 2'x4'x18' (144 cu ft). Sent an email with some pictures to the landscaper. He's been non-defensive about it all. He explained because I stacked the wood tight, one on top of another, that it does stack up as less. He said that it should be stacked basket weave style, alternating direction each row.

What do you all think? Did I get taken or should I re-stack my wood alternating directions like this guy suggested? Thanks.

The landscaper is mistaken if you are in NY state. Here is an explanation with pictures that he will be able to comprehend.
http://www.agmkt.state.ny.us/WM/WMwood.html

The landscaper is mistaken if you are in NY state. Here is an explanation with pictures that he will be able to comprehend.
http://www.agmkt.state.ny.us/WM/WMwood.html

Excellent Link, has all your answers

What To Do If You Think You've Been Short-Changed?

If the seller can't or won't correct the problem, contact your local weights and measures office before you burn any wood. It is also helpful to document the possible shortage by taking a picture of the stacked wood. Local offices can be located in the government section of your telephone directory or by writing or calling the:

NYS Department of Agriculture and Markets
Bureau of Weights and Measures
10B Airline Drive
Albany, New York 12235-0001
(518) 457-3146
[email protected]

Thanks for the validation everyone. I've made contact through an email and offered up a solution. Figured if he'll dump another 1/2 cord then I'll be to a point where I've only paid top dollar for my area. I feel like this will be easier to deal with than knowing I got ripped off.

If the result is nothing gets resolved, has anyone reported a dealer to weighs and measures? What kind of outcome could I expect?

You do mean your other cord delivered and stacked right ? not half cord dumped ? What you described is 1 1/8 cord. You are now shortchanging yourself. And if it is just dumped he could easily claim it to be twice what it actually is again. He is a cheat hold his feet to the fire.

If I were you I would expect to get no less than I had paid for. This is regular practice for him to cheat his customers. Get the media involved and he might be working a while to catch up deliveries to all the people that he has shorted.

When you buy milk at the store and half of it has leaked from the container is that the one you get or do you put it back and get a full one?

The full one , I thought so.

If the milk plant was only filling the jugs half full the store would be sending them back.

:cheers:

Last edited:
You Got ripped.

Since you e'mail him and he responds via e'mail send him a link to this thread.

He would be crazy to not deliver your balance.

128 cu ft = 1 cord no ifs or buts

When you ordered the wood did you or the dealer specify FULL cords of firewood? I think one of the problems that people have when buying firewood is the confusion of face cords, full cords, and pulp cords of wood. If neither of you specified full cord I wonder if you have any recourse.

One time I bought two full cords of wood and when the guy came with it stacked lengthwise on a straight one ton truck and it was only about 5 foot high I told him that he was a little short. He then admitted that he didn't even know what a full cord of wood was! He brought me another load.

NO ONE stacks their wood in a basket weave configuration. Plus if you ever order firewood by the face cord, be sure to specify the length of the wood. If the dealer is selling 16 inch lengths you are getting a lot less wood than from someone who cuts it at 18 to 24 inches!
Good luck!
Jim

I was in the firewood delivery business in the early 70's

We sold 1/2 cords full cords measured and then loaded.

We also sold 1/2 ton ( box full ) loads no mention of quantity for the people that could care less. They wanted wood delivered.

competitors sold " stove cords" Face cords etc....

But a cord of wood is still 128 cubic ft

If it is advertised as "a cord " it is got to be 128 cu ft.

Call it truck load, trunk load , bags, bundles, and sell it for any price you want but don't call it a CORD

He owes you wood simple as that

Good Lord

I HATE cheaters
Just thinking of those old ladies and hardly-getting-by families who actually, at the end of the line, have to scrape a few more $$$ to feel comfy inside their homes.
I hope guys like him have their own special dept in HELL where they have to cut firewood for the rightous ones all day long, with a small chinese made homelite and a dull chain ---

SA

Back