Questionable measuring of delivered cords.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
NO ONE stacks their wood in a basket weave configuration. Plus if you ever order firewood by the face cord, be sure to specify the length of the wood. If the dealer is selling 16 inch lengths you are getting a lot less wood than from someone who cuts it at 18 to 24 inches!
Good luck!
Jim

Not true. I cut my wood 16" a person gets 3 4'x8' stacks for a cord. If you cut the wood 24" then a person gets 2 stacks. If you sell 2 stacks of 18" as a cord you are ripping people off. That is cut and dry truth.

Scott

A cord is a unit of measure.
1 cord = 128 cubic feet.
1 pound = 16 ounces.
1 quart = 32 ounces.
etc...period
Each time a cord is stacked it will come out a little different, usually within 10%.
If the delivery were 10%-15% off, I think that would be OK.
That is not the case this time.
I think that if you explain this to the supplier he will make good.
One way to ensure that this does not happen in the future is when the order is placed you explain to the supplier that you expect to see the wood stacked at some point during the transaction, no extra charge.
The supplier can show up with the wood stacked in the truck and you can measure the shipment before it is dumped or he can wait until it is stacked at the location.
I hope this is helpful.

Not true. I cut my wood 16" a person gets 3 4'x8' stacks for a cord. If you cut the wood 24" then a person gets 2 stacks. If you sell 2 stacks of 18" as a cord you are ripping people off. That is cut and dry truth.

Scott
What I'm saying is this only holds true if you are selling by the FULL cord of firewood. If you sell by the full cord (4x4x8) it doesn't make any difference if you are cutting your wood at 2 inches or 48 inches! However, if some of the firewood dealers are selling by the FACE cord and cut the wood at 16 inches the customer is getting a whole lot less firewood as if the blocks were cut at 20 or 24 inches!
Again, I want to state that if you are going to buy firewood, make sure you are buying by the full cord and not by face cords.
Jim

Hello,
He's a liar..........a bum cheat....sock it to him !!!!!

Basso

If you sell by the full cord (4x4x8) it doesn't make any difference if you are cutting your wood at 2 inches or 48 inches!

It does matter what length you are cutting to make the volume measurement of L x W x H. You need to equal 128ft3 for a cord

However, if some of the firewood dealers are selling by the FACE cord and cut the wood at 16 inches the customer is getting a whole lot less firewood as if the blocks were cut at 20 or 24 inches!

I'm confused here :dizzy: No matter if it is a full cord, regular cord, face cord, pickup truck cord you are selling a volume of wood minus some voids for a price. With all the confusion on what a cord is firewood should be sold in volume only. A 128ft3 load is this price or 64ft3 is this price. That way wood can be sold in 2in or 16in or 24inch lengths stacked so long and so high. Is the firewood buying public to dumb for this ? :monkey:

Face cords, ricks, racks, and truckloads are not units of measure.
Cords, pounds, cubic feet, and fractions or multiples (1/2 cord, 2000lbs, 100cubic feet, etc.) of each are units of measure.

1 cord = 128 Cubic Feet stacked tightly. Length of cut does not really matter as long as it generally the same size (otherwise impossible to measure).

THIS GUY RIPPED YOU OFF PLAIN AND SIMPLE.

Guys like that make guys like me who sell wood for a living look bad. If I were you I would report him to the appropriate authorities and make him come get his wood back and give you a full refund. If the guy fed you this kind of BS
in order to rip you off on the measurement, I would be willing to bet that he also sold you poor quality wood that probably will not burn well.

If you let it slide he will continue to swindle others.

He knows what he is doing that was bs about the way you stacked it like
everyone said 4x4x8 bottom line .the only time we basket stack wood is to biuld
a corner that does not have much to hold it and thats it. people get confused
about it and idiots like him take advantage.

When you ordered the wood did you or the dealer specify FULL cords of firewood?

I don't know about NY or WI...

In Connecticut, it's a cord. Period.

Firewood, legally (CGS 43-27), can only be offered for sale by the cord or fraction thereof or by weight. It specifically prohibits using the terms face cord, rack, pile, truckload or similiar terms when selling firewood. If sold by weight, you have to use a public scale to weigh the load and provide the original weight ticket to the customer.

Hmmm...I could have some fun with Craigslist replies if I was a #### :)

a cord of wood measures 4 x 4 x 8 stacked the normal way i alway's thought.
am i wrong? when i deliver a cord of wood it is always two heaping 8 foot truck boxes, to make up for the wheel wells.

When you ordered the wood did you or the dealer specify FULL cords of firewood? I think one of the problems that people have when buying firewood is the confusion of face cords, full cords, and pulp cords of wood. If neither of you specified full cord I wonder if you have any recourse.

One time I bought two full cords of wood and when the guy came with it stacked lengthwise on a straight one ton truck and it was only about 5 foot high I told him that he was a little short. He then admitted that he didn't even know what a full cord of wood was! He brought me another load.

NO ONE stacks their wood in a basket weave configuration. Plus if you ever order firewood by the face cord, be sure to specify the length of the wood. If the dealer is selling 16 inch lengths you are getting a lot less wood than from someone who cuts it at 18 to 24 inches!
Good luck!
Jim

Weights and measures would not nit pick like that. If the dealer says "cord" it means 128 cu ft even if he intended it to be a fake "face cord". No one needs to specify "full cord" - that is assumed unless some other of the cheating measures are specified.

Harry K

Thanks for the validation everyone. I've made contact through an email and offered up a solution. Figured if he'll dump another 1/2 cord then I'll be to a point where I've only paid top dollar for my area. I feel like this will be easier to deal with than knowing I got ripped off.

If the result is nothing gets resolved, has anyone reported a dealer to weighs and measures? What kind of outcome could I expect?

What to expect? You _may_ get more wood delived. As for him, if Wieghts and Measures do their job, he will lose his license (if he has one) and pay a hefty fine.

REPORT HIM! You may lose but he won't be ripping anyone elso off.

Harry K

It does matter what length you are cutting to make the volume measurement of L x W x H. You need to equal 128ft3 for a cord

I'm confused here :dizzy: No matter if it is a full cord, regular cord, face cord, pickup truck cord you are selling a volume of wood minus some voids for a price. With all the confusion on what a cord is firewood should be sold in volume only. A 128ft3 load is this price or 64ft3 is this price. That way wood can be sold in 2in or 16in or 24inch lengths stacked so long and so high. Is the firewood buying public to dumb for this ? :monkey:

A cord is a measure of volume, i.e., 128ft3. There is no confusion about what a cord is, or a 1/2 cord, 1/3 cord, etc. My state even puts an advert in the paper explaining it every year. Too bad that the Weights and Measures don't police it, they only seem to do anything if they get a complaint.

Harry K

Like these other guys I won't short anyone I will expect more than
the others price for a cord though.

Many of these guys jumped in to say report him he is a criminal etc.
I doubt anything could be done as proof would be hard to establish
that you had not moved or otherwise disposed of some of the wood.
I always stack mine and measure it if I came up short I tell the customer
how many cubic foot I have how many is in a cord and adjust price or
offer more next load.

Good deal. Sounds like his conscience just needed a little more nudge. He still got off easy if he only brought 1/2 cord. If it was what you requested to even it up then enjoy the firewood.

A pickup truck load

I have always just had a 3/4 ton F250 which I know would not carry a full cord.I also never wanted to have to deliver a partial load since it was kinda costing me money in fuel and time.So I always just sold it by the pickup truck load and it was almost just as much as a partial load.I did some calculations once on my truck: I think the bed is 18" deep. So 4x8 with the middle given a layer 6" over the bed which is basically only slightly over 1 piece equals 1/2 of a cord and if you put a 6" bd along the rails and fill in front and behind the wheelwells up to the 6" side bd and now hump the entire middle another chunk higher you can basically get 90-96 cubic ft into a 3/4-1 ton pickup with 8-10 ply tires.That equals pretty close to 3/4 of a cord.That is how I sell it.I tell the customer its between 90 & 96 cubic ft.

I have always just had a 3/4 ton F250 which I know would not carry a full cord.I also never wanted to have to deliver a partial load since it was kinda costing me money in fuel and time.So I always just sold it by the pickup truck load and it was almost just as much as a partial load.I did some calculations once on my truck: I think the bed is 18" deep. So 4x8 with the middle given a layer 6" over the bed which is basically only slightly over 1 piece equals 1/2 of a cord and if you put a 6" bd along the rails and fill in front and behind the wheelwells up to the 6" side bd and now hump the entire middle another chunk higher you can basically get 90-96 cubic ft into a 3/4-1 ton pickup with 8-10 ply tires.That equals pretty close to 3/4 of a cord.That is how I sell it.I tell the customer its between 90 & 96 cubic ft.

if you round it to the top of the cab it will be a cord! My box level is like 81
cubic foot If I stake the sides I would have to stack it level about 2.8 foot
to get 128 cubic foot I have done the math over and over at 3 foot it is
like 132 cubic foot tightly stacked mounded to four foot in the middle or top
of cab tarped and binded gives a cord as I remeasure it always seems just
a tad over 128 or right at it.

He knows what he is doing that was bs about the way you stacked it like
everyone said 4x4x8 bottom line .the only time we basket stack wood is to biuld
a corner that does not have much to hold it and thats it. people get confused
about it and idiots like him take advantage.

+1 exactly right

Back