Questions about a Husky 365 Special - Maintenance and Stuff!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sting

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Hi guys!

Just some questions about my saw:

Was reading the manual, and it has a few pages on maintenance, and when to do it. Now, of course, I'm not using my saw daily, so I imagine that the manual's suggested maintenance is refferring to a saw in more constant use.

Under the "Weekly maintenace" section they list the following:
Check AV components

Lubricate Clutch Drum Bearing - BTW is the same as lubricating the Needle Bearing, or is this something else???

File off burrs on bar

Clean Spark plug and check gap

Check starter and recoil spring, clean fins on flywheel, clean cylinder cooling fins, clean/change screen on muffler

Clean Carb body and airbox

Under the Monthly Maintenance is the following:
Check brake band for wear

check clutch center, clutch drum and clutch spring for wear - BTW what will I be looking for here???

Clean outside of carb

Change Fuel Filter

Clean inside of fuel tank BTW - what is the best way to do this???

Check all cables and connections

Change Spark Plug

Change Air filter.

In typical homeowner use, how often should I *REALLY* be doing this stuff???

I *DO* check the saw over after every use, give it a wipe down, Check the air filter for dirt pick up (after about a gallon and a half of fuel through it, there is just a bit of dust in the fornt middle section of the filter... the rest is clean) and make sure everything looks good. I'm using the saw about 1-3 times every couple of weeks or so. It will get a lot more use come the fall, as I have a lot of maintenance to do on my property (several trees to thin out, as they are crowding each other.)

Also, noticed a discrepency between the manual and the saw itself. It is labelled as a 365 Special. In the manual, it says that the 365 should have a Zama carb, but when I took off the filter for the first time, the carb as Walbro stamped into the top. The only other numbers can I can see stamped into it are 21-477 and next to that 3-5. What does this mean? Would this be a Walbro HD12 as in the 362Xp and 372 XP?

Also what other differences are there between the "regular" 365 and the Special???

Thanks for putting up with the long post!

Originally posted by Sting
Hi guys!

Just some questions about my saw:

Was reading the manual, and it has a few pages on maintenance, and when to do it. Now, of course, I'm not using my saw daily, so I imagine that the manual's suggested maintenance is refferring to a saw in more constant use.

Under the "Weekly maintenace" section they list the following:
Check AV components

Lubricate Clutch Drum Bearing - BTW is the same as lubricating the Needle Bearing, or is this something else??? - the same thing

File off burrs on bar - When you sharpen the chain

Clean Spark plug and check gap - Before each use (not every tank of fuel)

Check starter and recoil spring, clean fins on flywheel, clean cylinder cooling fins, clean/change screen on muffler - Every use. Always keep the cooling fins clean

Clean Carb body and airbox - At the same time you check the air filter

Under the Monthly Maintenance is the following:
Check brake band for wear - Any time the clutch cover is off

check clutch center, clutch drum and clutch spring for wear - BTW what will I be looking for here??? - Not much. When the clutch is worn the saw will have no balls in the cut

Clean outside of carb - When you check the air filter

Change Fuel Filter - Once a year

Clean inside of fuel tank BTW - what is the best way to do this??? - When you change the fuel filter. Just use a solvent like carb cleaner and slosh it around a few times

Check all cables and connections - Whenever the air filter is off

Change Spark Plug - Once a year

Change Air filter. - Depends on conditions

In typical homeowner use, how often should I *REALLY* be doing this stuff???

I *DO* check the saw over after every use, give it a wipe down, Check the air filter for dirt pick up (after about a gallon and a half of fuel through it, there is just a bit of dust in the fornt middle section of the filter... the rest is clean) and make sure everything looks good. I'm using the saw about 1-3 times every couple of weeks or so. It will get a lot more use come the fall, as I have a lot of maintenance to do on my property (several trees to thin out, as they are crowding each other.)

Also, noticed a discrepency between the manual and the saw itself. It is labelled as a 365 Special. In the manual, it says that the 365 should have a Zama carb, but when I took off the filter for the first time, the carb as Walbro stamped into the top. The only other numbers can I can see stamped into it are 21-477 and next to that 3-5. What does this mean? Would this be a Walbro HD12 as in the 362Xp and 372 XP?

Also what other differences are there between the "regular" 365 and the Special???

Thanks for putting up with the long post!

Cant answer the carb question

Thanks a lot guys... really appreciate it!

I put some good money into the saw, and I'd like it to last as long as my dad's Pioneers did, which was about 30 years.

Latest posts

Back